Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Build-up Garage
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Build-up Garage Showcase your build up! If you are building it, we want to see it!

Old 04-01-2007, 01:33 PM   #1
zukiWilson

zukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond repute
ZukiWilson's Build

I've been gathering parts, researching, and learning new things since freshmen year of Purdue (almost 2 years ago… damn), and I finally have just about everything together for my Toyota axle swap.

A little background:

I've had this Samurai since I was 16, so that's longer than I've had anything else. I was considering selling it to build a cheap Toyota, but I came back to reality and decided against that I’ve had too many good times to get rid of it…

When I got my Samurai, it was in sad shape. I cleaned the crap out of it, painted it, bought some fairly new 31" ProComp MT, and wheeled it for the past couple of years. I didn't really know anything about building Zuks (or anything for that matter) back then, but you would be surprised at what you can learn in a short time with a lot of computer time that should have been homework time.

I've been going through the rat nest wiring, and I've finally come to the conclusion that I'm just going to tear it all out next winter break or when it gets cold again and totally start over. After comparing my rat nest to other Samurais wiring, I found that there are 2 freaking wiring harnesses in my Samurai… thanks hack-job PO. I found this for the next replacement:

My old 1.6L 8V was g like crazy, so I took it out and put a 1.3L back in with a Weber carb I found laying around in the barn. I sandblasted my old header and painted it because I was sick of the surface rust and Badlands mud burned into it.

I picked up some 36" TSLs, installed some 6.5:1 T-case gears with the help of a club member, and a bunch of other stuff. I couldn't believe I fit the Swampers into my XJ.

When it’s all said and done, I’m going to be running Toyota axles (’85 front, ’96 V6 4Runner rear), 4 wheel discs, 2” wheel spacers up front because the ’96 axle is 4” wider, Toyota PS (hydro assist next winter), 6.5:1 t-case gears with a DIY bucket and beefed arms, 36” TSLs on Soft 8s, Toyota driveshafts, ’89 Samurai transmission and t-case, welded rear/open front, and a bunch of other miscellaneous stuff.

Hopefully I will be finishing up in the next couple of weeks. I just have to set up the back axle, brake lines, and somehow get the pitman arm off.

Here’s some pictures:
Build Thread

Last edited by zukiWilson; 04-01-2007 at 11:34 PM.
zukiWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:38 PM   #2
Itsmejoe231
Krawler

Itsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond repute
Looks like it is going to be a good build! I like your plan!!

Itsmejoe231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:41 PM   #3
zukiWilson

zukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond reputezukiWilson has a reputation beyond repute
Old engine, I kind of had a festive theme going on after I intially painted it green.

Here's the swapped in engine because I'm cheap. I'm going to go 2.0L or something like that when I actually have a full-time job, and graduate.

Yes, I only work in the cleanest places... our barn is full of junk still from when we moved in 4 years ago. Me and my dad have burning parties when Mom's not home

I cleaned the engine up, it looks a lot better. I'll take a pic when I go home next weekend.

Build Thread

Last edited by zukiWilson; 04-01-2007 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:43 PM   #4
zukiWilson

I rebuilt the front knuckles on my Toyota axles. The rotors have surface rust like crazy because of the newfound condensation.

Build Thread
Old 04-01-2007, 01:45 PM   #5
zukiWilson

Rear axle getting prepped for discs. I decided to run a '96 4Runner V6 axle that I got on ebay though, so I'm going to give the '85 rear axle to my dad in case he wants Toy axles anytime soon.

Build Thread

Last edited by zukiWilson; 04-29-2007 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:47 PM   #6
zukiWilson

I have no help except that engine lift, and I'm bummed I haven't bought one sooner. Oh, and I've been wheeling the Barbie Jeep while my Zuk is torn apart

Build Thread
Old 04-01-2007, 01:48 PM   #7
zukiWilson

Front axle in. I was dying to see what it was going to look like.

More later...
Build Thread
Old 04-01-2007, 03:17 PM   #8
oklazukguy
The snake says.....

oklazukguy has a reputation beyond reputeoklazukguy has a reputation beyond reputeoklazukguy has a reputation beyond reputeoklazukguy has a reputation beyond reputeoklazukguy has a reputation beyond reputeoklazukguy has a reputation beyond reputeoklazukguy has a reputation beyond reputeoklazukguy has a reputation beyond reputeoklazukguy has a reputation beyond reputeoklazukguy has a reputation beyond reputeoklazukguy has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiWilson View Post
I have no help except that engine lift, and I'm bummed I haven't bought one sooner.
When I see a front end loader in the picture, I do not feel any sympathy for you for not having an engine lift!

Nice build. Love the color!
oklazukguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 04:12 PM   #9
holeshot

holeshot has a reputation beyond reputeholeshot has a reputation beyond reputeholeshot has a reputation beyond reputeholeshot has a reputation beyond reputeholeshot has a reputation beyond reputeholeshot has a reputation beyond reputeholeshot has a reputation beyond reputeholeshot has a reputation beyond reputeholeshot has a reputation beyond reputeholeshot has a reputation beyond reputeholeshot has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiWilson
Gotta love seeing a complete motor in a milk carton.

Looks like its going to be a great build.

holeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 04:32 PM   #10
LostSoul
Team Jeep Rescue

LostSoul has much to be proud ofLostSoul has much to be proud ofLostSoul has much to be proud ofLostSoul has much to be proud ofLostSoul has much to be proud ofLostSoul has much to be proud ofLostSoul has much to be proud ofLostSoul has much to be proud ofLostSoul has much to be proud of
What is the plan to move the front end forward?

1987 LWB, 1.6L 8V, 6.4:1 T-case, Lincoln Locked Yodas front and rear, 5.29's, Mighty Kong with Gorillas, WARN 8000lb , Custom Tubed front end with 5.5" Stretch and Stinger, LED's rear, 38" TSL's.
LostSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 04:54 PM   #11
Troll

Troll has much to be proud ofTroll has much to be proud ofTroll has much to be proud ofTroll has much to be proud ofTroll has much to be proud ofTroll has much to be proud ofTroll has much to be proud ofTroll has much to be proud ofTroll has much to be proud of
Nice project!! Keep us updated!.............................
Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 05:17 PM   #12
zukiWilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSoul View Post
What is the plan to move the front end forward?
I'll show you soon! Just wait a second!
Build Thread
Old 04-01-2007, 05:17 PM   #13
zukiWilson

Finished front axle minus brake calipers.

Build Thread
Old 04-01-2007, 05:20 PM   #14
zukiWilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by holeshot View Post
Gotta love seeing a complete motor in a milk carton.

Looks like its going to be a great build.
My dad was laughing too! It works though after you wrap some duct tape around it

Only with a Zuk engine... I'd like to see someone put a 22RE or a SBC in one
Build Thread
Old 04-01-2007, 05:21 PM   #15
zukiWilson

High steer arms, I think I'm going to repaint my zuk the color of the steering arms.

Build Thread

Last edited by zukiWilson; 04-01-2007 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:22 PM   #16
zukiWilson

My attempt at reinforcing the long side t-case arm.

*Note to self* Buy a table with a metal top for welding purposes.

Build Thread
Old 04-01-2007, 05:24 PM   #17
zukiWilson

T-case after a cleaning and some 6.5:1 gears.

Build Thread
Old 04-01-2007, 05:27 PM   #18
zukiWilson

DIY bucket from Rock4xfab. I welded the outside, took it off, and welded the inside. I'm still trying to get the t-case bolted back in because of some distortion. It's going in no matter what though.

Build Thread
Old 04-01-2007, 05:28 PM   #19
zukiWilson

Finished product, I was thinking about repainting it because it was dark and the paint ran some. Then I realized this is going under my Zuk and it's going to get scratched and gouged anyways so I decided against that.

Build Thread
Old 04-01-2007, 05:31 PM   #20
zukiWilson

Side view

Front view

Build Thread
Old 04-01-2007, 05:35 PM   #21
zukiWilson

Thought you guys would like this...

Build Thread
Old 04-01-2007, 05:36 PM   #22
zukiWilson

Dozer was checking the tires out. He's my shop partner.

Build Thread
Old 04-01-2007, 05:38 PM   #23
zukiWilson

Rear disks from '89 Chevy reg. cab 4x4. I need to sneak into one of my machining labs at school and bore them out still.

Build Thread
Old 04-01-2007, 05:42 PM   #24
zukiWilson

I tried redrilling my 1.6L pulley (V-belt/flat-belt) which has 5 bolt holes. I ended up drilling them in reverse pattern and totally screwed up the pulley until it fell apart. So I ordered this

Build Thread
Old 04-01-2007, 05:43 PM   #25
zukiWilson

New wheels from Summit. 15x8 Soft 8s. They were $160ish, no shipping charges.

Build Thread

Last edited by zukiWilson; 04-01-2007 at 08:22 PM.