Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Axle Talk
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Axle Talk This section is for all your other axle talks, D44, D60, 14bolt, Ford 9" etc. If you have a write up please post it, if you have a axle question ask away.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
Bushmaster

Bushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond repute
axle options for swap

I would love to find a few sets of Toyota axles but in Nebraska they are rare.

What other options are out there for passenger side front diff?
some Dana44's --waggy/scout
FJ Cruiser

any other donors i should be looking for that are worth while?
Bushmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #2
crisbee1

crisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond repute
dana 60 a 14 bolt. never look back
crisbee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
boxcar

boxcar is an unknown quantity at this point
While full width 44's and Yota axles seem to be the swaps of choice .I value my narrow track. I'm going with CJ5 axles. 1974 centered 44 with a disk brake conversion in the rear, and a 1980 super 30 up front with flat tops and a full high steer.
Both will sport Ox lockers and 4.27 gears.
boxcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:34 AM   #4
crisbee1

crisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond repute
I would argue that a Dana 44 is a waste of time, Imo a stock Toyota is a better stronger axle than a stock Dana 44. There is some really cool stuff at RuffStuff for Toys if you have the bank.

Dana 60 out of a late 80's chevy burb and a no gov locker shaved 14 bolt rear. 60 built with Reid Knuckles and Yukon shafts narrowed, on a stretched, linked Sami is about as good as it gets building with boneyard parts.

Last edited by crisbee1; 10-25-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
jrnm

jrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisbee1 View Post
I would argue that a Dana 44 is a waste of time, Imo a stock Toyota is a better stronger axle than a stock Dana 44. There is some really cool stuff at RuffStuff for Toys if you have the bank.

Dana 60 out of a late 80's chevy burb and a no gov locker shaved 14 bolt rear. 60 built with Reid Knuckles and Yukon shafts narrowed, on a stretched, linked Sami is about as good as it gets building with boneyard parts.

very nice and expensive, but you only have to do it once.

Proud builder of the one and only SUZUKI NADA JEEP.

"Stercus accidit"
jrnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
boxcar

Ok back to the axle debate. Yota stronger than a 44??
Some basic facts.
The 44 was and has been used as a factory set up in many rigs for over 50 years.
Most powered by V-8's ,
Some were big blocks and some high hp rigs.
You might remember.
The Vet / Viper / Jaguar etc.
Trucks: Ford / Chevy / Dodge / IH / Jeep. Just to name a few.
Many, if not most, of these rigs are still running around on the stock Dana 44 axles.
Yota axles were designed to carry a 4 banger in a light truck.
Limited #'s were produced compared to the 44.
The tubes are thin. ETC.
Yes the Yota is a descent axle. But expensive to build, Limited width availability and initial cost is high compared to a 44.
To say the Yota is better than the 44 shows a lack of knowledge.
I will give you this. The drop out design of the Yota makes set up easier.
But easy does not equate to better or stronger.....
I have run and built both Yota axles and Dana 44 axles for many years.
I will always choose the 1 piece 30 spline Dana over the Yota for strength, availability and cost reasons.....

Last edited by boxcar; 10-26-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
crisbee1

Yep it is an age old debate, I base my Stock Yota is stronger than a Dana 44 on what I have seen in the Rocks, Just Rocks, no dirt or mud.

I am lucky enough to get invited to wheel with the TTorra Tacoma guys here in AZ. and they have first hand experience with the Dana 44 vs Toy axle swap. Dana 44s would stop the run on a regular basis. Toyotas break also, usually the hub studs. The Tacoma is actually too heavy for either of these axles. What the lesson learned is in the Tacoma world (heavier than a Zuk) is move from IFS straight to Tons, skip the First gen vs 44 thing all together.

I run Built Toys in my 3200lb. Buggy Chopper and I am just about done with putting Toys under the Zuk.

Toys are also a natural progression from Zuk axles as if you can assemble a Zuk axle you already have the skills to build a Toy axle.

The Toy axles that I am putting under the Zuk have stock shafts front and rear, a stock Toy axle will handle 35"s just fine on a Zuk and I am going to run 33"s.

I follow some of the peej guys around here that wheel in the rocks, Mostly to see whats working and what's not.

Typically when a peej is broken, Rubicon with Dana 44's it's the monkey motion steering., some funny looking link just snaps in half.

In the peej world around here 35"s are marginal on Dana 44. when you go to 37"s you go to 1 ton axles.

In the rocks around here you are going to find more Zuks on Toys than 44s even though the 44s are a dime a dozen in the bone yards.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:51 AM   #8
boxcar

Well I'm lucky enough to live in Oregon . We not only have plenty of rock,
we also have equal amounts of mud and ,when it's not raining, dirt.
At the present I am converting to Dana axles under my Zuke.
Yota's would have worked fine for a Zuke but I'm keeping the rig narrow track.
Look I have no problem running Toyota axles in a light weight rig.
I do have a problem when a blanket statement is made concerning the 44 vs Yota strength comparison.
First of all , Which 44 are we talking about? 1 or 2 piece axles? 27 or 30 spline?
Unlike the Toyota, there are many versions of the 44.
As I mentioned earlier I run 1 pc. 30 splines only.
My Zuke will run them with 33's
My Cj runs them and has for the 10 years since I built it. 35's with a 401 , T-18 / and an Atlas.
My Ford High boy runs them , again 35's a 390 C-6 and 205.
The Ford tows my 20 ' car hauler with either the "Peej" or the Zuke behind it,
While carrying an 8' camper in the bed........
Oddly enough I have never had an axle break on the Ford or the Jeep.
Now honestly, Do you really think a Yota axle would perform as well in either rig?
I will admit that neither rig is running stock axles.
Chromo shafts trusses and armor are the rules in my shop.
The Ford axle was 40 years old when I removed it for mods. But still running strong.
The Jeep axle was 30+ years old ( Hard years I might add) It had been abused.
I wouldn't have known it had I not opened it up though.
I don't think any one in there right mind would stab a Yota axle under a full size 4x4 Ford pick up with a Big Block.
Dana has for many years. With undeniable success.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #9
grasskutter1

grasskutter1 is an unknown quantity at this point
running stock yotas under my rig. 35" mud tires, locked(welded) and no pity either in rocks, mud or on road with no breakage yet in about 2 years. I did managed to get through 2 d44 fronts on my old rigs while I was on 31/32s with a lightly modded sbc350...
still have a set of d44s laying in the garage that i've been trying to get rid for over a year with no succes and sold my last 2 pairs 50$/ea ...
grasskutter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:50 PM   #10
boxcar

Send me an address and some pics of the axles. I will have them picked up within the week. As long as they are 30 spline 1pc axles. It was $50ea right?
Old 10-30-2013, 06:10 PM   #11
Nagtrainer

Nagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond repute
How about a 14 bolt with Rockwell knuckles and Hubs.. Dreaming again..

I do have a couple Ford 9's, All I need is the 60 knuckles. with that I can go 35 spline in the front, and 40 Spline rear and full float hubs. The two housings I do have are Currie Floaters.

1986 SCORE Class 3 Samurai with DOHC 1.3L Crower Cam & Rods, Fabbed Block girdle, ghetto block guard, GSXR600 ITB's Custom one off header. The Hybrid of Hybrid rear axles with ford 9" Spool and 28 spline axles, Nissan 240SX brakes, Hybrid front axle (in the process of fabbing) Snatch, Panty Liner, Twin Stick, Stage 3 clutch, MicroSquirt, FLIR, Lowrance Navigation, Yaesu 2 way, Parker Air, Sigtronic intercom.
Nagtrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:29 PM   #12
phloop
Bacon is the answer

phloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond repute
Hey Mike, when you get tired of tripping over those Curries let me know. Been wanting a set since the mid 90's.

Union hall 3B

Living life a half bubble off.

pie

0-1

I'm singing dammit!
phloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:25 PM   #13
Nagtrainer

Nagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond repute
There 64", Spares from my Modified and Sportsman.

1986 SCORE Class 3 Samurai with DOHC 1.3L Crower Cam & Rods, Fabbed Block girdle, ghetto block guard, GSXR600 ITB's Custom one off header. The Hybrid of Hybrid rear axles with ford 9" Spool and 28 spline axles, Nissan 240SX brakes, Hybrid front axle (in the process of fabbing) Snatch, Panty Liner, Twin Stick, Stage 3 clutch, MicroSquirt, FLIR, Lowrance Navigation, Yaesu 2 way, Parker Air, Sigtronic intercom.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:52 PM   #14
phloop
Bacon is the answer

phloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond repute
Guess it would be hard to steer it with one of those axles then huh?

Union hall 3B

Living life a half bubble off.

pie

0-1

I'm singing dammit!
phloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #15
Nagtrainer

I want to convert one to Dana Knuckles..

Old 11-02-2013, 01:06 AM   #16
mybadford

mybadford has a reputation beyond reputemybadford has a reputation beyond reputemybadford has a reputation beyond reputemybadford has a reputation beyond reputemybadford has a reputation beyond reputemybadford has a reputation beyond reputemybadford has a reputation beyond reputemybadford has a reputation beyond reputemybadford has a reputation beyond reputemybadford has a reputation beyond reputemybadford has a reputation beyond repute
Toyota? DANA???? Shooooooot. I swapped in a Hybrid rear with 3/16" tubes and swapped on a truss and in double tough axle shafts and I run 35" Boggers with a well you can see it in my signature. I've been fortunate enough to not break anything. I'm sure a lot of you guys wheel a lot harder than I do. It's going to boil down to personal preference. Several years ago I think it was Peterson Off Road did a test on how much force it take to twist and break an axle. I don't remember the toyota axle being tested but I do remember the corporate 10bolt being the weakest axle. I would love a pair of 14bolt centers with rockwell outers with rcv shafts. My bank account says no though. I'm gonna do dana axles just because I already have them out of a 76 Wagoneer and they were easier to find that an offset rear toyota rear axle. If I woulda found a set of Toyota axles I woulda bought them. Don't have any hate towards either.
86 jx, 1.3, spoa, YJ springs, missing links up front, 5.12 r&p, hybrid rear housing, Double Tough front shafts, Warn lockouts, rear disc, transfer case parking brake,5.5" longer shock hoops, full OTS steering, ZOR rear bumper, 1450psi p/s pump, 2"x6" hydro assist ram, tracker steering box, 6.5 tc, twin stick, LROR EOS tc cradle, 16/35-15 Boggers, 15x14 Weld wheels
mybadford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #17
Bushmaster

Bushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond reputeBushmaster has a reputation beyond repute
The rig we are currently finishing up has a hybrid axle rear and plan to put double tough in the front. this rig is 1.6, auto, stock sammy case, 5.12 gears, propane, and if the coin is there it will get 33-10.50 km2's. otherwise it will get 31" MTRs. I think it will be fine if a guy goes easy on the skinny peddle, its all about finesse.

60's under a samurai is major overkill. But anything can be broken if you try hard enough(or have a lapse in judgement). Like an old railroader told me, if you want to break an anvil, give it to a railroader.
Bushmaster is offline   Reply With Quote