Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Suzuki Engine
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Suzuki Engine Discuss all your engine questions, troubles, and tech in this area.

Old 09-20-2006, 08:09 PM   #1
Soonerzuk

Soonerzuk has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerzuk has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerzuk has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerzuk has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerzuk has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerzuk has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerzuk has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerzuk has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerzuk has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerzuk has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerzuk has a reputation beyond repute
1.3L Carb to FI swap

I just purchased a complete Fuel Injection system off a 92 Samurai. Has anybody done this swap? The only real question I have is about the harness. The guy I bought it off of cut it at the fire wall . Does anybody have a diagram or know where I can get one, of the ECM wiring? Is there any of the wiring that I dont need?? ANY help what so ever would be appreciated!

Oh yea...is there a particular fuel pump that is recomended or just get one for a FI samurai?
2009 Pro-Mod Buggy.....LS1, Atlas 4.3, Rock Jock 60's, PSC Full Hydro Steering, 37" Maxxis Competition Trepadors, 17" Allied Aluminum Monsters Beadlocks, FOX 2.5" Nitrogen Shocks, and a few other goodies.....

Soonerzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 08:57 PM   #2
Itsmejoe231
Krawler

Itsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerzuk
I just purchased a complete Fuel Injection system off a 92 Samurai. Has anybody done this swap? The only real question I have is about the harness. The guy I bought it off of cut it at the fire wall . Does anybody have a diagram or know where I can get one, of the ECM wiring? Is there any of the wiring that I dont need?? ANY help what so ever would be appreciated! Oh yea...is there a particular fuel pump that is recomended or just get one for a FI samurai?
Not to sure about the sami FI but the 1.6 8v harness is not that bad. Do you have all the wire? including what is in the cab?

The fuel pump question......Try to get what it orignally used. If not find one that matches the pressure and flow.

Itsmejoe231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 10:05 PM   #3
Soonerzuk

Soonerzuk has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerzuk has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerzuk has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerzuk has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerzuk has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerzuk has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerzuk has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerzuk has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerzuk has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerzuk has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerzuk has a reputation beyond repute
I dont have the wiring in the cab...so i guess i'm gonna have to splice my original harness into the FI harness
2009 Pro-Mod Buggy.....LS1, Atlas 4.3, Rock Jock 60's, PSC Full Hydro Steering, 37" Maxxis Competition Trepadors, 17" Allied Aluminum Monsters Beadlocks, FOX 2.5" Nitrogen Shocks, and a few other goodies.....

Old 09-22-2006, 06:51 PM   #4
filter

filter has a reputation beyond reputefilter has a reputation beyond reputefilter has a reputation beyond reputefilter has a reputation beyond reputefilter has a reputation beyond reputefilter has a reputation beyond reputefilter has a reputation beyond reputefilter has a reputation beyond reputefilter has a reputation beyond reputefilter has a reputation beyond reputefilter has a reputation beyond repute

This should help.
filter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 07:38 PM   #5
Itsmejoe231
Krawler

Itsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond reputeItsmejoe231 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I dont have the wiring in the cab...so i guess i'm gonna have to splice my original harness into the FI harness
Not gonna work unless you have the ecm from the donor vehicle.

Itsmejoe231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 10:56 AM   #6
ack

ack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I just purchased a complete Fuel Injection system off a 92 Samurai. The only real question I have is about the harness. The guy I bought it off of cut it at the fire wall . Does anybody have a diagram or know where I can get one, of the ECM wiring? Is there any of the wiring that I dont need?? ANY help what so ever would be appreciated!
I'm gonna violate my sworn rule about telling folks to do a search at Ack's FAQ by giving you direct links to a page:

http://www.acksfaq.com/samuraiFI.htm

(this one I got by doing a search for everything in the ELECTRICAL category by leaving the search keyword field blank. The link is in the search results (14 links in all).

Unfortunately, There isn't a fuel injection/ECM wiring diagram in the FAQ! Looks like I have some work to do tonight... so check back tomorrow!

Quote:
Oh yea...is there a particular fuel pump that is recomended or just get one for a FI samurai?
I'd find a pump at a salvage yard if you didn't want to go with a dealer purchase. I am not familiar with the system. sorry.

'88 Samurai Offroader
'88.5 Samurai Tintop
'16 Ford Flex Limited AWD "Uber-mobile"
http://www.acksfaq.com

ack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 06:35 PM   #7
Soonerzuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by filter
This should help.
sweet thats exactly what I need...thanks Filter!

thanks for the link as well Ack! thats a lot of good info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsmejoe231
Not gonna work unless you have the ecm from the donor vehicle.
yea I got the ECM as well

Old 09-23-2006, 07:33 PM   #8
DesertZuki
Starting Over

DesertZuki has much to be proud ofDesertZuki has much to be proud ofDesertZuki has much to be proud ofDesertZuki has much to be proud ofDesertZuki has much to be proud ofDesertZuki has much to be proud ofDesertZuki has much to be proud ofDesertZuki has much to be proud ofDesertZuki has much to be proud of
Quote:
...yea I got the ECM as well
Do you have the connectors that hook up to the ECM also? Are the wires long enough to see wire color? If so, you should be able to match wire colors coming from the connectors to the wires in the harness. (When I did the 16v swap none of the wires were the same color.)

DesertZuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 02:45 AM   #9
ack

ack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond repute
TBI info...

This composite pic comes from Chilton's Total Car Care Import Trucks and SUVs CD set (part number C3050 - rush out in a BUYING FRENZY and get this!). It is the schmatic with labelled components for the Samurai TBI system.

Hope this helps!

PS: did I mention that Chilton's Total Car Care Import Trucks and SUVs CD set is THE BEST????

'88 Samurai Offroader
'88.5 Samurai Tintop
'16 Ford Flex Limited AWD "Uber-mobile"
http://www.acksfaq.com

ack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 05:35 AM   #10
jimmyroyse

jimmyroyse has a reputation beyond reputejimmyroyse has a reputation beyond reputejimmyroyse has a reputation beyond reputejimmyroyse has a reputation beyond reputejimmyroyse has a reputation beyond reputejimmyroyse has a reputation beyond reputejimmyroyse has a reputation beyond reputejimmyroyse has a reputation beyond reputejimmyroyse has a reputation beyond reputejimmyroyse has a reputation beyond reputejimmyroyse has a reputation beyond repute
the complete efi supplement to the fsm is now online at;
http://www.suzukiinfo.com/
jimmyroyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 03:33 PM   #11
Soonerzuk

does anybody know if the plugs that plug into the ECM are the same for both a Carb and FI ECM?

Old 10-06-2006, 06:28 AM   #12
jimmyroyse

jimmyroyse has a reputation beyond reputejimmyroyse has a reputation beyond reputejimmyroyse has a reputation beyond reputejimmyroyse has a reputation beyond reputejimmyroyse has a reputation beyond reputejimmyroyse has a reputation beyond reputejimmyroyse has a reputation beyond reputejimmyroyse has a reputation beyond reputejimmyroyse has a reputation beyond reputejimmyroyse has a reputation beyond reputejimmyroyse has a reputation beyond repute
I can't find the pic's of it, but they are different. When I did mine, I swapped the entire harness over; cluster, column, & tank. I didn't feel like sorting out what went where.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:42 AM   #13
Soonerzuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyroyse
I can't find the pic's of it, but they are different. When I did mine, I swapped the entire harness over; cluster, column, & tank. I didn't feel like sorting out what went where.
man that sucks...all I have is the wiring harness and ecm from the FI so i'm gonna have to figure out what all i need for the FI and then splice it into my stock harness...thanks for the heads up jimmy!

Old 10-06-2006, 07:13 AM   #14
jimmyroyse

It helps when I read the original question...doh
Quote:
The guy I bought it off of cut it at the fire wall
man I hate electrical work; between the 2 wiring diagrams you "should" be able to splice things together. I'm 90% positve though that the ecm connectors are different. for referance I found this, it's for a 1.6 8v but it might help? http://www.yankeetoys.org/mini4x/efiswap/efiswap.htm
the wiring diagrams and I belive the pin outs are listed in the fsm's. I have the wiring diagrams for both if you want them.

When I swaped mine I used the f150 fuel pump and filter. there are a zillion threads on it over at zuwharrie.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:08 AM   #15
Soonerzuk

thanks for the link Jimmy!

Old 10-06-2006, 03:54 PM   #16
sfccotton
High Desert Dweller

sfccotton is a glorious beacon of lightsfccotton is a glorious beacon of lightsfccotton is a glorious beacon of lightsfccotton is a glorious beacon of lightsfccotton is a glorious beacon of light
Talk to Sean at Aftermarket 4x4. He knows what you need and sells the kit.

http://members.cox.net/aftermarket4x4/index.html
TT Spool in the rear
33" M/TRs with 15x8 'D' window steel rims with 2 3/4" backspace
1.3 L w/TBI conversion w/Thorley Header
TT 2" Exhaust w/Magnaflow
PRP suspension seats
sfccotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 04:52 PM   #17
Soonerzuk

well I thought I would give a little update....

I finally had time over Thanksgiving to do my swap from a Weber to a TBI system of a 92 fuel injected samurai. took me a day to rip the old harness out and remove my intake and then install the FI harness. I forgot to get new gaskets so I had to wait until the next day to install the FI intake and valve cover. I used a ford f-150 inline fuel pump (part# E2000) and I mounted it right after my stock fuel filter. I had to change out the fuel filter for a FI filter. This is an fairly easy swap if your comfortable with wiring. The most important thing to remember is ......GROUNDING IS IMPORTANT!!! Sorry i didnt take any pics...I didnt think about it till after the fact I'm ready to go test it out now! Maybe I can learn to drive on my side like OKIEZUK