Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Axle Talk
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Axle Talk This section is for all your other axle talks, D44, D60, 14bolt, Ford 9" etc. If you have a write up please post it, if you have a axle question ask away.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:46 PM   #1
AZ148

AZ148 is an unknown quantity at this point
what now?

I got a somewhat complete rear axle with locker, spartan, from a buddy and put it under my rig. i ran it for a bit and it seemed to work fine but it felt like there was a lot of play in it. Hindsight i should of have had it checked out first but i pulled it back out and had a mechanic friend check it out and adjust any play. I put it all back together and when i stated to back out of the garage..ouch! it started popping bad, seemed like from the right/short side. I jacked it up and pulled the drum and when turning it with a ratchet on one of the drum studs it feels like the right rear axle shaft is slipping in the carrier. The spline is not twisted and it looks ok but why now? do i replace the axle or is the spline in the carrier the problem.. does one normally wear out first. is there a way to check spline?
AZ148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:20 PM   #2
ecoast

ecoast has a reputation beyond reputeecoast has a reputation beyond reputeecoast has a reputation beyond reputeecoast has a reputation beyond reputeecoast has a reputation beyond reputeecoast has a reputation beyond reputeecoast has a reputation beyond reputeecoast has a reputation beyond reputeecoast has a reputation beyond reputeecoast has a reputation beyond reputeecoast has a reputation beyond repute
pull the axle and inspect
what the hell you lookin' down here for?

ecoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:28 AM   #3
AZ148

AZ148 is an unknown quantity at this point
I pulled everything apart tonight and its not the axles. The spline looked fine on both Pulled the chunk and have metal in the housing. Its the locker but i have not dug into it to see what happened. Does anyone know a way to check a third member outside the case? What i mean is when it was off the ground it worked fine that is until it was moving the weight of the rig. Turned fine in a vice when checking too. I have a open one to run for now, I just wonder if there is a way to pre-test to avoid the hassle of tearing it down. I am getting faster though..LOL
AZ148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:44 AM   #4
crisbee1

crisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond reputecrisbee1 has a reputation beyond repute
how many times did it pop, how does it sound with the lockouts in the free position
crisbee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:31 PM   #5
Bowie Kid

Bowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond reputeBowie Kid has a reputation beyond repute
Rear axle, no lockouts.
1990 Diahatsu Rocky 1.9td, Track/kick trans-tcase, 4.24's, Toys, yj's, front m/l shackle reverse, 33's, built in the ZOR shop.

[/IMG]
Bowie Kid is offline   Reply With Quote