Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Axle Talk
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Axle Talk This section is for all your other axle talks, D44, D60, 14bolt, Ford 9" etc. If you have a write up please post it, if you have a axle question ask away.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:29 PM   #26
Spokerider

Spokerider has a reputation beyond reputeSpokerider has a reputation beyond reputeSpokerider has a reputation beyond reputeSpokerider has a reputation beyond reputeSpokerider has a reputation beyond reputeSpokerider has a reputation beyond reputeSpokerider has a reputation beyond reputeSpokerider has a reputation beyond reputeSpokerider has a reputation beyond reputeSpokerider has a reputation beyond reputeSpokerider has a reputation beyond repute
For the fronts, the choices, currently seems to be;

Double Tough Gen V" Front Axles

Longfield 33 Spline Chromo Samurai Axles

EMPI Chromoly 26 Spline Front Axles

Suzuki Samurai HD Front 4340 Chromoly Birfield Axle Set, Low Range Off Road (SAX-4340LR)

RCV Ultimate '86-'95 26 Spline CV Axle Set for Suzuki Samurai (CVJ2292-P-RCV)

Of these, which os the *best* "strongest" etc?
Those RCV's are spendy. At $530 I won't be buying them any time soon
Spokerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:09 PM   #27
HaOuLi

HaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond repute
Better thing to do is check the warranty on each of them and see which best meets your needs.

This would be my short list
- Longfield (Trail Gear)
- Trail Tough
- Low Range

My edge would be to the Longfield axles but for the price either Trail Tough or Low Range would be very doable. Check the warranties
HaOuLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:08 PM   #28
Spokerider

Spokerider has a reputation beyond reputeSpokerider has a reputation beyond reputeSpokerider has a reputation beyond reputeSpokerider has a reputation beyond reputeSpokerider has a reputation beyond reputeSpokerider has a reputation beyond reputeSpokerider has a reputation beyond reputeSpokerider has a reputation beyond reputeSpokerider has a reputation beyond reputeSpokerider has a reputation beyond reputeSpokerider has a reputation beyond repute
I have a set of Longfields coming. The sales guy I spoke to says most all of the manufactures are all trimming back their warranties to 1 year.

He also said that he has never got a broken Zuk Longfield axle back from a customer.

I highly doubt I will breaking one of these axles with 31's.
Spokerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 06:44 PM   #29
1mad zuk

1mad zuk has a reputation beyond repute1mad zuk has a reputation beyond repute1mad zuk has a reputation beyond repute1mad zuk has a reputation beyond repute1mad zuk has a reputation beyond repute1mad zuk has a reputation beyond repute1mad zuk has a reputation beyond repute1mad zuk has a reputation beyond repute1mad zuk has a reputation beyond repute1mad zuk has a reputation beyond repute1mad zuk has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokerider View Post
My zuk is a hunting / exped rig. It will see the rocky / rooty Pacific Northwest deactivated roads, old roads and trails, and snow......snow as deep as I can drive through with chains.

I'm staying with the zuk axle housings, and will run 31's with a VW 1.9TD for torque. Gearing will all be stock.

Will stock rear axle shafts hold up to the torque of the diesel and deep snow or rocks / stumps etc? I am going to be light on the throttle, as I'm interested in drivetrain longevity over extreme performace / stressing parts.

As for rear chromo shaft choices........the LROR Silverbacks and the Calmini's, is that it? Seems like all I can dig up on the net for choices.
As stated by my brother Rudolf_Diesel running 1.9 turbo diesel. Has broken many of rear axles and not hard core wheelin. We have driven many of miles and done many of trail repair.(seems more than off roading). So do your self a favor and up grade to a chromo rear shaft ( which I don't think will help) or just Yodas. He has finally realized that Trail Gear rear axle will be bullet proof.
1mad zuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:53 PM   #30
Big Ash Rally

Big Ash Rally is an unknown quantity at this point
Tire size and amount of skinny pedal are probably top in the equation.

my bother and I have the same setup, (stock axles, stock springs ) except he's wheelin a 1.6 and auto, I'm 1.3 5 speed. he crawls ledges smooth, then I hit it hand throttle style and everyone is like holy $h!t, easy on the fuel! 33"KM2s. no issues. Smooth counts. Shock loads kill parts. I cant see how snow would break an axle- seen it wipe out open diffs tho. Mud's kinda the same. You usually dont break parts in the rocks if the wheels are on the ground. when you start hopping, or get the front end in the air bumping a ledge, badness will follow.
Big Ash Rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 09:56 PM   #31
Big Ash Rally

Big Ash Rally is an unknown quantity at this point
I should add, spooled rear, open front. I dont think locked front would work long with stock axles.
Big Ash Rally is offline   Reply With Quote