Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Axle Talk
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Axle Talk This section is for all your other axle talks, D44, D60, 14bolt, Ford 9" etc. If you have a write up please post it, if you have a axle question ask away.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:08 PM   #1
heavysquad

heavysquad has a reputation beyond reputeheavysquad has a reputation beyond reputeheavysquad has a reputation beyond reputeheavysquad has a reputation beyond reputeheavysquad has a reputation beyond reputeheavysquad has a reputation beyond reputeheavysquad has a reputation beyond reputeheavysquad has a reputation beyond reputeheavysquad has a reputation beyond reputeheavysquad has a reputation beyond reputeheavysquad has a reputation beyond repute
Axle gearing from VIN

Can you determin what gearing your samurai axles have by the vin? I know you can spin the tire of an open diff 20 times and count how many times the input rotates and divide by ten to get it, but I heard a rumor it is indicated inthe vin. Any clues?

heavysquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:29 AM   #2
phloop
Bacon is the answer

phloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond repute

Union hall 3B

Living life a half bubble off.

pie

0-1

I'm singing dammit!
phloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:07 AM   #3
ack

ack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond repute
I like how you replied, phloop....

Assuming that you own a Samurai Tintop as your avatar suggests, not really, heavysquad.

All North American Samurai (and possibly every SJ413 made anywhere) were built with 3.73 ring and pinions installed. Thus, it would be pointless to use the VIN to indicate the dif ratio on an SJ 413.

Now Sidekicks, Trackers and Vitaras (oh my!) are a different story.

Generally speaking the difs used in a particular vehicle depend on the model, engine, body style, transmission and model year. Thus, if you know the underlying data, you can tell what dif ratio is in a Zuk based on the VIN - which would indicate all of the above pieces of information.

A bit of searching will reveal a nice table created by skyhiranger on the topic.

In case a previous owner changed the ring and pinion, there are also several posts in the forums describing the method for determining the dif ratio without disassembling anything.

Sorry, I guess I am getting a bit grumpy in my old age...

I hope that this helps!

'88 Samurai Offroader
'88.5 Samurai Tintop
'16 Ford Flex Limited AWD "Uber-mobile"
http://www.acksfaq.com

ack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 02:37 PM   #4
heavysquad

heavysquad has a reputation beyond reputeheavysquad has a reputation beyond reputeheavysquad has a reputation beyond reputeheavysquad has a reputation beyond reputeheavysquad has a reputation beyond reputeheavysquad has a reputation beyond reputeheavysquad has a reputation beyond reputeheavysquad has a reputation beyond reputeheavysquad has a reputation beyond reputeheavysquad has a reputation beyond reputeheavysquad has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think that sounded grumpy at all. I had a buyer ask me for the VIN and I was a little hesitant to give it to him because I didn't think you could tell the ratio from that.

heavysquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:51 PM   #5
phloop
Bacon is the answer

phloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond repute
Heavysquad, the grumpy comment was meant at me not you. Listen to ACK, he knows of which he speaks. It was late last night when I posted the first post, figured I could draw him out with the popcorn deal.

Union hall 3B

Living life a half bubble off.

pie

0-1

I'm singing dammit!
phloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:00 AM   #6
skyhiranger

skyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavysquad View Post
I don't think that sounded grumpy at all. I had a buyer ask me for the VIN and I was a little hesitant to give it to him because I didn't think you could tell the ratio from that.
You are right, the VIN will not indicate what gear ratio the axles have.

Some people ask for a VIN to run a carfax on the vehicle they are interested in. Funny thing is though, a carfax won't necessarily tell you if a vehicle has been involved in an accident, if the repair was "off the books".
Old 01-02-2015, 02:13 PM   #7
scottiej

scottiej has a reputation beyond reputescottiej has a reputation beyond reputescottiej has a reputation beyond reputescottiej has a reputation beyond reputescottiej has a reputation beyond reputescottiej has a reputation beyond reputescottiej has a reputation beyond reputescottiej has a reputation beyond reputescottiej has a reputation beyond reputescottiej has a reputation beyond reputescottiej has a reputation beyond repute
The early SJ413, before they were called samurais, with the narrow track axles (same width as the Sj410 axles) had 3.909 diffs.

http://www.zukikrawlers.ru/showthread.php?t=45080

My Build
scottiej is offline   Reply With Quote