Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Axle Talk
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Axle Talk This section is for all your other axle talks, D44, D60, 14bolt, Ford 9" etc. If you have a write up please post it, if you have a axle question ask away.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:22 PM   #26
Fordzuki

Fordzuki has a reputation beyond reputeFordzuki has a reputation beyond reputeFordzuki has a reputation beyond reputeFordzuki has a reputation beyond reputeFordzuki has a reputation beyond reputeFordzuki has a reputation beyond reputeFordzuki has a reputation beyond reputeFordzuki has a reputation beyond reputeFordzuki has a reputation beyond reputeFordzuki has a reputation beyond reputeFordzuki has a reputation beyond repute
If welded properly, you can keep the warpage to a bare minimum.

The thing about trusses is they are nearly worthless, unless they go all the way to the knuckle ball. Most, if not all of the housings I've bent or bought bent were bent outside the spring perch, not in the middle where most people truss.
Fordzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:40 PM   #27
Reddog1

Reddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordzuki View Post
If welded properly, you can keep the warpage to a bare minimum.
It has been years, but this has been my previous experience. Although it is more work, stress can be relieved by penning. Without a method to check for alignment, you really do not know where you relative to warpage, welding sections or 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordzuki View Post
The thing about trusses is they are nearly worthless, unless they go all the way to the knuckle ball. Most, if not all of the housings I've bent or bought bent were bent outside the spring perch, not in the middle where most people truss.
I find this interesting. It is the first time I have heard it mentioned. Kinda goes back for the need to checking the alignment of the housing. I wonder how many people have had the same experience as you have?

Wayne
'91 EFI, DD, Hardtop, Partial EXO, A/C, Warn 8000 winch, 100 AMP GM Alt, Toy Celica P/S, TT YJ SPOA M/L, 5-leaf YJ, DT 8000 shocks, TT Knuckle Over Steering, Mighty Kong, 6.5 TC, Evil Twins, TT Full Skid Plate, Diff Guards, Fuel Tank Skid, Rock Sliders, Anti-Wrap Bar w/Axle Truss, Panhard Bar, Cooper SST - 30x9.5x15, 8" wide 2-1/2" BS wheels, Maxima rear Disc w/ebrake, rear locker, Thumb Throttle, CB Radio, towed 4 down

Reddog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:43 AM   #28
catzuk
Mmmm Beer!

catzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1 View Post
I find this interesting. It is the first time I have heard it mentioned. Kinda goes back for the need to checking the alignment of the housing. I wonder how many people have had the same experience as you have?

Wayne
In my last post (#23) I have the link attached to the Lowrange (trailtough) knuckle ball kit. bending at the ball ends is very common on these axles as well as toy fronts. These simple braces add tremendous strength to a normally weak area. On my front I will have my truss tubeing go all the way to the ends with knuckle ball gussets added top and bottom which will solve any bending problems.

Again, most of the time bending these is from jumping or being really hard on them with 33" tires or bigger as there is a lot more unsprung weight on them. From normal wheeling and even up to pretty hard wheeling, the normal truss is enough to stop the most common area of bending which is the long side tube.

B.A.A.A Member #14
87 zuk based buggy, 103"wb 37" Black label Comp Krawlers, waggy 44's w/5.38's detroits, 1.6 16V.
87 zuk 31" Cooper STT Pro's, SPOA,1.6 8V Hybrid motor,4.16 t-case, Fr/Rr Lockrights.

catzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:56 AM   #29
Reddog1

Reddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond reputeReddog1 has a reputation beyond repute
catzuk, I did review the link you provided. The ball gussets look pretty simple and straight forward in their install. I was not aware that it was real common for the housings to bend in that area, but that just shows my limited experience in wheeling.

I do not intentionally jump my Zuk, and have no plans to go to 33" tires or bigger. I really do not think I am hard on my Zuk, mostly just running trails or the Mall as a DD. I do slow down at the speed bumps.

I will truss tubing go all the way to the spring pads. And while the housing is on the bench, add the knuckle ball gussets added top and bottom. If for no other reason, just for bragging rights.

What do you consider the tolerance for the straightness of the housing?

Wayne
'91 EFI, DD, Hardtop, Partial EXO, A/C, Warn 8000 winch, 100 AMP GM Alt, Toy Celica P/S, TT YJ SPOA M/L, 5-leaf YJ, DT 8000 shocks, TT Knuckle Over Steering, Mighty Kong, 6.5 TC, Evil Twins, TT Full Skid Plate, Diff Guards, Fuel Tank Skid, Rock Sliders, Anti-Wrap Bar w/Axle Truss, Panhard Bar, Cooper SST - 30x9.5x15, 8" wide 2-1/2" BS wheels, Maxima rear Disc w/ebrake, rear locker, Thumb Throttle, CB Radio, towed 4 down

Old 12-22-2010, 02:52 PM   #30
trmexrunner

trmexrunner has a reputation beyond reputetrmexrunner has a reputation beyond reputetrmexrunner has a reputation beyond reputetrmexrunner has a reputation beyond reputetrmexrunner has a reputation beyond reputetrmexrunner has a reputation beyond reputetrmexrunner has a reputation beyond reputetrmexrunner has a reputation beyond reputetrmexrunner has a reputation beyond reputetrmexrunner has a reputation beyond reputetrmexrunner has a reputation beyond repute
as for the knuckle ball trusses what do other people use is 3/8ths plate good enough. when shaving the pumpkin should i weld front and back first and then the sides to help eliminate warpage or whats the best way to go about this thanks adam
trmexrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:52 AM   #31
catzuk
Mmmm Beer!

catzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond reputecatzuk has a reputation beyond repute
reddog, There has been many discussions over the allowed tolerences of these axles, but I haven't seen a great official answer yet. Many will have different technical ideas on it, but personally I have not seen very many stock zuk housings that were very far out at all. I try to keep everything within 1/16 of an inch (i don't measure in mm very often , but have seen zuk housings at over a 1/4" out without any real issues. I know on others like dana's, there can be 1/4" stock and that is considered ok by many.

If just welding a truss, don't over think or even stress over it. Just take your time, don't rush and make small welds no more than an inch and a half at a time and rotate so that your next weld is on the opposite end from the first and so on. Like criss crossing your lug nuts. If still uncomfortable with it, preheat the whole housing with a shop heater, that way there is less instant heat in one spot on a cold housing.

trmex, when I do a shave job, LOL that just sounds dirty , I leave the 3rd member mounting ring solid untill the end (then grind it smooth). It is very stout and holds everything tight and together. I usually make 4 good tacks to hold plate in place, then start going around in 1" increments, cris crossing, taking my sweet arse time. (knocks on wood) I haven't had any issues so far doing it this way. I also weld completely on the inside as well (to prevent leaks) and have even used jb weld on top of the inside welds to also prevent microscopic leaks. (Hey, I'm no professional pressure vessel ). And I hate leaks! It is tough to weld 1/4 inch plate to the thin housing, but not impossible.

And 3/8's is usually what is used on the knuckle gussets. Some I have seen were 1/2 inch, but thats overkill on these housings.

B.A.A.A Member #14
87 zuk based buggy, 103"wb 37" Black label Comp Krawlers, waggy 44's w/5.38's detroits, 1.6 16V.
87 zuk 31" Cooper STT Pro's, SPOA,1.6 8V Hybrid motor,4.16 t-case, Fr/Rr Lockrights.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:57 AM   #32
Reddog1

Quote:
Originally Posted by catzuk View Post
reddog, There has been many discussions over the allowed tolerences of these axles, but I haven't seen a great official answer yet. Many will have different technical ideas on it, but personally I have not seen very many stock zuk housings that were very far out at all. I try to keep everything within 1/16 of an inch (i don't measure in mm very often , but have seen zuk housings at over a 1/4" out without any real issues. I know on others like dana's, there can be 1/4" stock and that is considered ok by many.
I have searched this and other Forums, hoping to find the information you have posted. I have ask people more than once, and your post excepted, never got an answer. During my many years as a Job Shop, Marine, and Automotive machinist, I have never checked the alignment of anything without knowing what tolerance was acceptable. With out that knowledge, I see no way to have an accurate test bar. You could easily be discarding good usable housings.

My concern is just how critical the alignment is with a lunch box locker. You did state specifically, but I understand your post to include with lockers, in the 1/4-inch. Do I understand correctly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by catzuk View Post
If just welding a truss, don't over think or even stress over it. Just take your time, don't rush and make small welds no more than an inch and a half at a time and rotate so that your next weld is on the opposite end from the first and so on. Like criss crossing your lug nuts. If still uncomfortable with it, preheat the whole housing with a shop heater, that way there is less instant heat in one spot on a cold housing.
To add to this, if you were to discover the housing did go out of alignment during the welding process, in all probably you could relieve the stress in the welds using a penning chisel on the welds. This is a common process on crankshafts and some welded structures on ships, to correct misalignment.

I really appreciate your input, Reps given.

Wayne

Old 12-28-2010, 10:23 AM   #33
catzuk
Mmmm Beer!

It seems that lunchbox lockers really do not like mis-alignment. They pop a lot when out of true. It seems that (unless your lockers springs are worn out or broken, which happens a lot) a lockright or such will let you know you bent a shaft or housing or both really quickly. It will go from normal driving pops to violent pops and snaps. It will lock and unlock like crazy and at the most weird times and a lot more often. Usually you can see a bent housing if you stand back and simply look at it. It will smile at you . Biggest problem with one being bent though, is you wil break side gears. The pressure in the angle at the spline area will cause cracks in the thin side gears from uneven pressure. ask me how I know. LOL

As for the specs, to my understanding, these type of housings are manufactured different as they are stamped steel put in a jig and robot welded. There really isn't much difference and almost no measureable amount of mis-alighnment between any of the millions that are made. Ones like dana's are cast centers, pressed in tubes welded to cast center with welded ends. A lot to deform and go slightly different between each one made.

B.A.A.A Member #14

Old 12-28-2010, 12:07 PM   #34
Reddog1

I have no experience with the lunchbox lockers, but I nope to do my install properly with a straight housing. I have experience in setting up gears and such and have the necessary tools. My concern is knowing that lunchbox lockers really do not like mis-alignment of the housing. Considering nothing is perfect, there must be a tolerance on just how perfect the alignment must be. I wonder if just installing the lockers and crossing you fingers is why so many people have problems with them?

My neighbor has a DD CJ with a Detroit locker. He took me for a test drive, and I heard no loud popping, jeep jumping or anything else negative. I read about guys with Zuks saying they do not experience none of these issues. Is it the luck of the draw with straight housings?

I appreciate your sharing your experience and thoughts.

Wayne

Old 12-29-2010, 10:17 AM   #35
geckocycles

geckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond repute
I wish I could tell you what an acceptable bent tolerance would be. I can tell you that when I bent mine and it was out over 1/4" off center on the long side, my locker wouldn't work at all. I could barely see the bent by just looking down the open end and didn't even know for sure I could say it was bent.
When I made my tool and straightened mine and Andy's I just took a ton of time and made them perfect or at least within .01" I would say.
Jeff doesn't want to even check his and has no issues but I can assure you that all housings are not straight. Just don't know how much off is acceptable. I wish Jeff would let me put my gauge in just to see how much his is off.
2240 lbs wet. 33x10.50 BFG KM2's, 5.12 T-Case, 4.30 3rds, HD output shaft, Spidy T-Case arms, Gecko Cable Locker, Gecko panhard, Spidy antiwrap bar and trussed housings, 5"x12" Breeze drop links, SPOA front and rear, Gecko Cycles Intake and Cooling manifold with 4 36mm GSXR screamin Mikuni's. 5400 lb Ft and 3000 lb rear winches, ZOR ft bumper, Gecko rear, Calmini HD rear axles, custom made 4Runner drive shafts.
geckocycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:42 AM   #36
Reddog1

geckocycles, your experience gives a start point of the housings must be less than 1/4-inch off. Thanks, that is helpful.

Wayne

Old 12-29-2010, 12:06 PM   #37
madzukr
OLD TIMER

madzukr has a reputation beyond reputemadzukr has a reputation beyond reputemadzukr has a reputation beyond reputemadzukr has a reputation beyond reputemadzukr has a reputation beyond reputemadzukr has a reputation beyond reputemadzukr has a reputation beyond reputemadzukr has a reputation beyond reputemadzukr has a reputation beyond reputemadzukr has a reputation beyond reputemadzukr has a reputation beyond repute
if your worried about warpage you could always use JB weld.
madzukr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:17 PM   #38
Reddog1

Quote:
Originally Posted by madzukr View Post
if your worried about warpage you could always use JB weld.
I am more concerned with the housing being warped before I used the JB Weld. Why waste the JB Weld on a housing that is not aligned to begin with?

Wayne

Old 01-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #39
AFTERMARKET4X4

AFTERMARKET4X4 has a reputation beyond reputeAFTERMARKET4X4 has a reputation beyond reputeAFTERMARKET4X4 has a reputation beyond reputeAFTERMARKET4X4 has a reputation beyond reputeAFTERMARKET4X4 has a reputation beyond reputeAFTERMARKET4X4 has a reputation beyond reputeAFTERMARKET4X4 has a reputation beyond reputeAFTERMARKET4X4 has a reputation beyond reputeAFTERMARKET4X4 has a reputation beyond reputeAFTERMARKET4X4 has a reputation beyond reputeAFTERMARKET4X4 has a reputation beyond repute
Some trussing I've been using & abusing:
The rear Zuk housing is a Hybrid with drivers side and pass side 3/16 thick 2" X 4" box tubing. Works great for jumping and so far after several years of skying my Zuk's I have yet to bend a rear housing trussed like this:

This is the front housing I built up for jumping last year. It is under my 2.3 liter Beater Zuk that is set up SPUA.

The lower truss is 3/16" 2" X 4" box tubingand the upper truss extends all the way over to the knuckle ball and is 3/8" thick plate steel with holes cut out for the U-bolts to slip through and cradle the housing.

So far there have been no problems bending it even with some pretty high and long jumps.

Sean
AFTERMARKET4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:44 PM   #40
Reddog1

AFTERMARKET4X4 - Very impressive trusses. I gotta say, I did not consider trussing from the bottom.

For my application, I am bargaining to think I am putting too much in to the truss. I do not purposely jump my Zuk. I probably would not bend a stock housing at the Mall. I probably would be just fine with a TT truss, although it would be nice to be different, if for nothing else but bragging rights.

Thanks for the post.

Wayne

Old 02-13-2011, 10:30 PM   #41
Singha

Singha has a reputation beyond reputeSingha has a reputation beyond reputeSingha has a reputation beyond reputeSingha has a reputation beyond reputeSingha has a reputation beyond reputeSingha has a reputation beyond reputeSingha has a reputation beyond reputeSingha has a reputation beyond reputeSingha has a reputation beyond reputeSingha has a reputation beyond reputeSingha has a reputation beyond repute
Front-went with upper and lower

Rear-will get upper only
Singha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:32 PM   #42
Roland

Roland has a reputation beyond reputeRoland has a reputation beyond reputeRoland has a reputation beyond reputeRoland has a reputation beyond reputeRoland has a reputation beyond reputeRoland has a reputation beyond reputeRoland has a reputation beyond reputeRoland has a reputation beyond reputeRoland has a reputation beyond reputeRoland has a reputation beyond reputeRoland has a reputation beyond repute
Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:59 PM   #43
Reddog1

Thanks for the Post and photos guys. Did you leave drains for the gussets, to avoid rust pockets?

Wayne

Old 02-14-2011, 08:28 AM   #44
Oscello

Oscello has a reputation beyond reputeOscello has a reputation beyond reputeOscello has a reputation beyond reputeOscello has a reputation beyond reputeOscello has a reputation beyond reputeOscello has a reputation beyond reputeOscello has a reputation beyond reputeOscello has a reputation beyond reputeOscello has a reputation beyond reputeOscello has a reputation beyond reputeOscello has a reputation beyond repute
Whats the purpose of trussing the bottom? It seems like you loose ground clearence for very little added strength.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:36 AM   #45
geckocycles

geckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond repute
Rock protection
2240 lbs wet. 33x10.50 BFG KM2's, 5.12 T-Case, 4.30 3rds, HD output shaft, Spidy T-Case arms, Gecko Cable Locker, Gecko panhard, Spidy antiwrap bar and trussed housings, 5"x12" Breeze drop links, SPOA front and rear, Gecko Cycles Intake and Cooling manifold with 4 36mm GSXR screamin Mikuni's. 5400 lb Ft and 3000 lb rear winches, ZOR ft bumper, Gecko rear, Calmini HD rear axles, custom made 4Runner drive shafts.
geckocycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:10 PM   #46
AFTERMARKET4X4

AFTERMARKET4X4 has a reputation beyond reputeAFTERMARKET4X4 has a reputation beyond reputeAFTERMARKET4X4 has a reputation beyond reputeAFTERMARKET4X4 has a reputation beyond reputeAFTERMARKET4X4 has a reputation beyond reputeAFTERMARKET4X4 has a reputation beyond reputeAFTERMARKET4X4 has a reputation beyond reputeAFTERMARKET4X4 has a reputation beyond reputeAFTERMARKET4X4 has a reputation beyond reputeAFTERMARKET4X4 has a reputation beyond reputeAFTERMARKET4X4 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscello View Post
Whats the purpose of trussing the bottom? It seems like you loose ground clearence for very little added strength.
You seen me jump mine? Eventually I bend every single housing I build, but when I truss the top and bottom it takes much longer. I do not like that it reduces ground clearance, but the lower trussing is necessary.

Sean
AFTERMARKET4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:06 PM   #47
Reddog1

Like most modifications we make, it appears it is a compromise. I think it depends a lot on you use of your Zuki. For my intended use, I think the ground clearence would be of greater value. If my intended use included jumping the Zuki, the bottom truss makes sense.

Wayne

Old 02-16-2011, 07:48 PM   #48
Pacifier

Pacifier has a reputation beyond reputePacifier has a reputation beyond reputePacifier has a reputation beyond reputePacifier has a reputation beyond reputePacifier has a reputation beyond reputePacifier has a reputation beyond reputePacifier has a reputation beyond reputePacifier has a reputation beyond reputePacifier has a reputation beyond reputePacifier has a reputation beyond reputePacifier has a reputation beyond repute
When jumping your vehicle, you will easily bend the ends and the housing like I did

Before

After

www.diegosdeals.com
Classifieds For the Outdoorsman!

Once a Marine, always a Marine "Semper Fi"
Pacifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 03:23 PM   #49
Reddog1

Pacifier, look nice. Did you do anything special to drain water from the truss?

Wayne

Old 03-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #50
Pacifier

Pacifier has a reputation beyond reputePacifier has a reputation beyond reputePacifier has a reputation beyond reputePacifier has a reputation beyond reputePacifier has a reputation beyond reputePacifier has a reputation beyond reputePacifier has a reputation beyond reputePacifier has a reputation beyond reputePacifier has a reputation beyond reputePacifier has a reputation beyond reputePacifier has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddog1 View Post
Pacifier, look nice. Did you do anything special to drain water from the truss?

Wayne

It's not welded all the way through, there are 1.5" gaps all the way around the truss.

The same thing was done to my new Yota axles.

www.diegosdeals.com
Classifieds For the Outdoorsman!

Once a Marine, always a Marine "Semper Fi"
Pacifier is offline   Reply With Quote