Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Axle Talk
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Axle Talk This section is for all your other axle talks, D44, D60, 14bolt, Ford 9" etc. If you have a write up please post it, if you have a axle question ask away.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:38 PM   #26
MSuits

MSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes88zuki View Post
I think im gonna go this route.But were im stuck at now is where to aim the rear? mind you im running yjs with just a long shackel in the rear If someone can please help me out or show me that would be great THANKS...
get a angle finder and match the pinion to the t-case output.
will dig up a few pics for you when I get a chance.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:45 PM   #27
mikes88zuki

mikes88zuki has a reputation beyond reputemikes88zuki has a reputation beyond reputemikes88zuki has a reputation beyond reputemikes88zuki has a reputation beyond reputemikes88zuki has a reputation beyond reputemikes88zuki has a reputation beyond reputemikes88zuki has a reputation beyond reputemikes88zuki has a reputation beyond reputemikes88zuki has a reputation beyond reputemikes88zuki has a reputation beyond reputemikes88zuki has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSuits View Post
get a angle finder and match the pinion to the t-case output.
will dig up a few pics for you when I get a chance.
thank you man that would be great
Old 04-26-2010, 09:36 PM   #28
FordCustom

FordCustom has a reputation beyond reputeFordCustom has a reputation beyond reputeFordCustom has a reputation beyond reputeFordCustom has a reputation beyond reputeFordCustom has a reputation beyond reputeFordCustom has a reputation beyond reputeFordCustom has a reputation beyond reputeFordCustom has a reputation beyond reputeFordCustom has a reputation beyond reputeFordCustom has a reputation beyond reputeFordCustom has a reputation beyond repute
the DC thaft like out of the yota is meant to handle vibrations better.. and has to be ground on for it to handle more than a sammy shaft... i had a broncoII that had a CV rear drive shaft (like you would find in FWD or IFS fronts)

FordCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:56 PM   #29
mikes88zuki

mikes88zuki has a reputation beyond reputemikes88zuki has a reputation beyond reputemikes88zuki has a reputation beyond reputemikes88zuki has a reputation beyond reputemikes88zuki has a reputation beyond reputemikes88zuki has a reputation beyond reputemikes88zuki has a reputation beyond reputemikes88zuki has a reputation beyond reputemikes88zuki has a reputation beyond reputemikes88zuki has a reputation beyond reputemikes88zuki has a reputation beyond repute
well I went with yjs all 4 corners im running m/l in front and a 8'' shackel in the rear because the front sat a little higher now i wanna run a tracker rear but with the longer shackels in the rear it pushed my pinion angle up so now im having driveshaft isues I wanna run the sami shaft in the rear and with the pinion angle being off now im stuck on what to do Im gonna exstend my slip yoke 2'' without running spacers and go from there... If anyone can help me out on what to do that would be great..
Old 04-27-2010, 08:43 PM   #30
Mullet

Mullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond reputeMullet has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
well I went with yjs all 4 corners im running m/l in front and a 8'' shackel in the rear because the front sat a little higher now i wanna run a tracker rear but with the longer shackels in the rear it pushed my pinion angle up so now im having driveshaft isues I wanna run the sami shaft in the rear and with the pinion angle being off now im stuck on what to do Im gonna exstend my slip yoke 2'' without running spacers and go from there... If anyone can help me out on what to do that would be great..
Do away with the long shackles and try some lift blocks to adjust rear ride height, and your pinion angle will be better, which means no vibs. Just an idea, as I know some will say not to use blocks.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:36 PM   #31
MSuits

MSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
thank you man that would be great
almost forgot you, but I dug up a few for you.

this one is YJs before I got a longer slip yoke.

Coils

Hope that kinda helps you.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:33 PM   #32
Rock4xFab
Master Fabricator Vendor

Rock4xFab has a reputation beyond reputeRock4xFab has a reputation beyond reputeRock4xFab has a reputation beyond reputeRock4xFab has a reputation beyond reputeRock4xFab has a reputation beyond reputeRock4xFab has a reputation beyond reputeRock4xFab has a reputation beyond reputeRock4xFab has a reputation beyond reputeRock4xFab has a reputation beyond reputeRock4xFab has a reputation beyond reputeRock4xFab has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustom View Post
the DC thaft like out of the yota is meant to handle vibrations better.. and has to be ground on for it to handle more than a sammy shaft... i had a broncoII that had a CV rear drive shaft (like you would find in FWD or IFS fronts)
NO.... A DC ( double cardon) shaft is meant to be used when the pinion is pointing at the case. The 3 joints cancel themselves. They are also not meant to be used for HIGHER ANGLE. A normal DC shaft takes up dam near 6-8" of length before is realy starts to droop. When you pinion is pointed at it, it is a mute point. But if the pinion is pointed at an angle matching your case flange, or in a compound angle the lower joint spins out of PHASE. This does two things, the pinion side joint only lubricates 2 of the caps properly = premature failure. And since it is running out of phace can cause a vibe. Most people running a MT style tire would never feel the vibe, but throw a set of radial street tires on and you should notice it. If you dont loose weight in the ARS end, you have to much cushion. LOL

A Good alternative for the Compound is the 4 Runner shaft.. 89-94 have about 42 deg and will take the compound provided you set the case and pinion flange a tthe same angle ( within 3 deg ). This being told to me by Jesse at high angle Drive shaft. I have not had any issues doing it this way.

And to Ack.... Many people including myself refer to the DC style shaft and a CV when in actuality this is a incorrect statment. A DC shaft is one found on a Toy FRONT case to pinion... A CV ( constant velocity Joint) is the half shaft on a front wheel drive car or the front of your tracker IFS. Differential to wheel hub.
The Originator and MFG of the Toyota Adapter ... Don't settle for a copysamurai 4:57 and 5:38 gear sets $175.00 + sh
Rock 4x Fabrication, Inc
OUR NEW PHONE NUMBER
Rock4xFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:51 PM   #33
phloop
Bacon is the answer

phloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond repute
I know I need to get off my lazy azz and call you but why the difference in the shafts from the 4runner to the pickups?

Union hall 3B

Living life a half bubble off.

pie

0-1

I'm singing dammit!
phloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:53 PM   #34
Rock4xFab
Master Fabricator Vendor

Rock4xFab has a reputation beyond reputeRock4xFab has a reputation beyond reputeRock4xFab has a reputation beyond reputeRock4xFab has a reputation beyond reputeRock4xFab has a reputation beyond reputeRock4xFab has a reputation beyond reputeRock4xFab has a reputation beyond reputeRock4xFab has a reputation beyond reputeRock4xFab has a reputation beyond reputeRock4xFab has a reputation beyond reputeRock4xFab has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by phloop View Post
I know I need to get off my lazy azz and call you but why the difference in the shafts from the 4runner to the pickups?
I think.... The trucks have a short case side yoke and the shaft side is then long but the pinion side is 2 long ears. The runner should have long ears on the yoke all 4 positions.. Make sence I amnot sure I understand what I just typed LOL
The Originator and MFG of the Toyota Adapter ... Don't settle for a copysamurai 4:57 and 5:38 gear sets $175.00 + sh
Rock 4x Fabrication, Inc
OUR NEW PHONE NUMBER
Rock4xFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 04:27 PM   #35
mikes88zuki

well i got it all togeather now im getting a bad vibration im lost. This is a stock rear sami shaft large flage to small flange drilled?
Old 05-21-2016, 04:52 PM   #36
mikes88zuki

Old 05-21-2016, 04:56 PM   #37
mikes88zuki

also just rebuild my tc all new bearings and seals. 4.16.1 case with 5.13 axle gears.all the u-joints are new also has a newer clutch and throw out bearing. If im driving about 15mph it seems ok till i push clutch in and shift gears thats when i get the bad vibs.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:28 PM   #38
Nagtrainer

Nagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond repute
How much stroke is in the Drive Shaft? and looking at the pick it looks like the DS is out of time...

1986 SCORE Class 3 Samurai with DOHC 1.3L Crower Cam & Rods, Fabbed Block girdle, ghetto block guard, GSXR600 ITB's Custom one off header. The Hybrid of Hybrid rear axles with ford 9" Spool and 28 spline axles, Nissan 240SX brakes, Hybrid front axle (in the process of fabbing) Snatch, Panty Liner, Twin Stick, Stage 3 clutch, MicroSquirt, FLIR, Lowrance Navigation, Yaesu 2 way, Parker Air, Sigtronic intercom.
Nagtrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:12 PM   #39
mikes88zuki

Oh wow your right i didn't even notice
Old 05-21-2016, 07:52 PM   #40
mikes88zuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagtrainer View Post
How much stroke is in the Drive Shaft? and looking at the pick it looks like the DS is out of time...
Not sure. I will measure tomorrow. When i line up the shaft.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:58 PM   #41
mikes88zuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullet View Post
Do away with the long shackles and try some lift blocks to adjust rear ride height, and your pinion angle will be better, which means no vibs. Just an idea, as I know some will say not to use blocks.
Yeah i thought about using some small lift blocks because she sags a bit in the rear. But not sure how it would hold up wheeling with the lift blocks.