Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Axle Talk
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Axle Talk This section is for all your other axle talks, D44, D60, 14bolt, Ford 9" etc. If you have a write up please post it, if you have a axle question ask away.

Old 04-10-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
mikes88zuki

mikes88zuki has a reputation beyond reputemikes88zuki has a reputation beyond reputemikes88zuki has a reputation beyond reputemikes88zuki has a reputation beyond reputemikes88zuki has a reputation beyond reputemikes88zuki has a reputation beyond reputemikes88zuki has a reputation beyond reputemikes88zuki has a reputation beyond reputemikes88zuki has a reputation beyond reputemikes88zuki has a reputation beyond reputemikes88zuki has a reputation beyond repute
Track Rearend

Ok guys Im puttin a tracker rear In my sami with the 513 gears. with the rear being offset I will be ok running my toyota cv shaft right?
Old 04-11-2010, 01:59 PM   #2
MSuits

MSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond repute
you need to run a standard shaft it will handle the compound angles better than the cv shaft.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:22 PM   #3
mikes88zuki

mikes88zuki has a reputation beyond reputemikes88zuki has a reputation beyond reputemikes88zuki has a reputation beyond reputemikes88zuki has a reputation beyond reputemikes88zuki has a reputation beyond reputemikes88zuki has a reputation beyond reputemikes88zuki has a reputation beyond reputemikes88zuki has a reputation beyond reputemikes88zuki has a reputation beyond reputemikes88zuki has a reputation beyond reputemikes88zuki has a reputation beyond repute
wow you would think the cv would but ok thanks for the info
Old 04-11-2010, 04:02 PM   #4
ack

ack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond repute
I am wondering if there are actually three types of driveshafts:

Standard U-joint
Double Cardan one end
and
"CV"

I think that folks interchange the term "CV" for Double Cardan (DC).

I use a Toyota Double Cardan front driveshaft for the rear driveshaft on my Samurai...

Is the term "CV" and "DC" intechangable? Can someone enlighten me? Pics would be nice...

It might also clear up some confusion in this thread because I am of the impression that a properly set-up Double Cardan can provide improved rear suspension flex over a standard U-joint driveshaft...

"CV"? I don't know what that is... except when it refers to IFS axle halfshafts with "Constant Velocity" joints as found on the front of TracKicks.

'88 Samurai Offroader
'88.5 Samurai Tintop
'16 Ford Flex Limited AWD "Uber-mobile"
http://www.acksfaq.com

ack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:55 PM   #5
phloop
Bacon is the answer

phloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond repute
Hey ack you forgot about the double cardigan.

Union hall 3B

Living life a half bubble off.

pie

0-1

I'm singing dammit!
phloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 06:26 PM   #6
mikes88zuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by phloop View Post
Hey ack you forgot about the double cardigan.
phloop thats the shaft ill be running a double cardigan shaft will this type of shaft work with running a tracker rearend??????
Old 04-11-2010, 06:31 PM   #7
phloop
Bacon is the answer

phloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond repute
Check out the link I posted in that last post of mine.

Union hall 3B

pie

0-1

I'm singing dammit!
Old 04-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #8
phloop
Bacon is the answer

And I agree with MSuits that the standard shaft will work better.

Union hall 3B

pie

0-1

I'm singing dammit!
Old 04-11-2010, 06:39 PM   #9
mikes88zuki

the standerd shaft out of the tracker? If so will the work with the samurai TC?
Old 04-11-2010, 06:45 PM   #10
mikes88zuki

Or i put the tracker end on the sami shaft
Old 04-11-2010, 07:34 PM   #11
MSuits

MSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond reputeMSuits has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes88zuki View Post
Or i put the tracker end on the sami shaft
use the sammie shaft. If you have a large flange sammie it will bolt right up to the kick rear. If you have a small flange you will have to drill the kick rear to match your driveshaft.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:47 PM   #12
mikes88zuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSuits View Post
use the sammie shaft. If you have a large flange sammie it will bolt right up to the kick rear. If you have a small flange you will have to drill the kick rear to match your driveshaft.
Awesome man thinks for the info reps added
Old 04-11-2010, 11:09 PM   #13
blackack

blackack has much to be proud ofblackack has much to be proud ofblackack has much to be proud ofblackack has much to be proud ofblackack has much to be proud ofblackack has much to be proud ofblackack has much to be proud ofblackack has much to be proud ofblackack has much to be proud of
How come the tracker rear? because you want the 5.13 gears?

from what ive seen the tracker rear shafts break fairly easy with gearing. A couple friends were snapping them on demand on the rocks with 31-33" tires.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:26 AM   #14
mikes88zuki

Yeah for the gears! and im pretty sure the axles are bigger. I guess it depends on how heavy your right foot is in order to break them
Old 04-12-2010, 07:07 AM   #15
MSuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackack View Post
How come the tracker rear? because you want the 5.13 gears?

from what ive seen the tracker rear shafts break fairly easy with gearing. A couple friends were snapping them on demand on the rocks with 31-33" tires.
I been using a tracker rear for almost 3 years now with 6.5 case gears, 5.13 diff gears and 33s and now 35 Krawlers and have had zero problems out the rear. it is also is spooled and i havent even twisted the splines yet on the shafts. they seem to pretty tough to me.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:20 AM   #16
purevil71

purevil71 has a reputation beyond reputepurevil71 has a reputation beyond reputepurevil71 has a reputation beyond reputepurevil71 has a reputation beyond reputepurevil71 has a reputation beyond reputepurevil71 has a reputation beyond reputepurevil71 has a reputation beyond reputepurevil71 has a reputation beyond reputepurevil71 has a reputation beyond reputepurevil71 has a reputation beyond reputepurevil71 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
you need to run a standard shaft it will handle the compound angles better than the cv shaft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phloop View Post
And I agree with MSuits that the standard shaft will work better.

So school me on how using a standard drive shaft with a centered diff rear axle (like a Trac/Kick or Toyota) is better than using the double cardan shaft which allows for a better operating angle??

I used to chew through stock sami shafts like they were candy till I swapped in a front Toy shaft and have had nothing but good luck with it.

The combo of the lift and centered rear diff is extremely hard on a standard drive shaft IMO. Thats why guys started using them to begin with, u-joints on the stock stuff just don't survive. That and their over all beef.

2001 Suzuki Vitara
1991 Suzuki Samurai
purevil71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:33 PM   #17
blackack

blackack has much to be proud ofblackack has much to be proud ofblackack has much to be proud ofblackack has much to be proud ofblackack has much to be proud ofblackack has much to be proud ofblackack has much to be proud ofblackack has much to be proud ofblackack has much to be proud of
Quote:
I been using a tracker rear for almost 3 years now with 6.5 case gears, 5.13 diff gears and 33s and now 35 Krawlers and have had zero problems out the rear. it is also is spooled and i havent even twisted the splines yet on the shafts. they seem to pretty tough to me.
this is suprising, i guess you are having better luck than what i've seen. Two rear shafts blew in two separate zuks on the same day. one with 5.13's, 6.5:1, 31's, just crawling a small boulder field. The other on a lightweight zuk "truggy" with 34's. He was so sick of breaking them he went back to a samurai rear. His comments were the diameter is slightly larger, but the material used was inferior to samurai shafts. I haven't used a tracker rear so i dont have personal experience. I guess everything can break, mabye it depends on who is using it or from where the shaft came from.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:24 PM   #18
MSuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by purevil71 View Post
So school me on how using a standard drive shaft with a centered diff rear axle (like a Trac/Kick or Toyota) is better than using the double cardan shaft which allows for a better operating angle??

I used to chew through stock sami shafts like they were candy till I swapped in a front Toy shaft and have had nothing but good luck with it.

The combo of the lift and centered rear diff is extremely hard on a standard drive shaft IMO. Thats why guys started using them to begin with, u-joints on the stock stuff just don't survive. That and their over all beef.
CV or double cardon shafts are not meant to be used in a compound angle. They will destroy the pinion side joint over time.

The 89-95 4 Runner is a normal 2 Joint shaft that has high clearance yokes and can handle a compound with out a problem. If you have a the front 79-85 shaft can it be used Yes but some have problems Thats why I posted optimal is the rear Non cv.

This came out of this thread. http://www.zukikrawlers.ru/showthread.php?t=18618

everything I have ever read agrees with this. I have never had a problem out my standard Zuk shaft running at compound angles with a centered diff. (a yota non-cv shaft would be stronger and better choice.) I have run it up the interstate at 65 mph and wheeled some of the hardest trails in Colorado with it. works good.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:28 PM   #19
MSuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackack View Post
this is suprising, i guess you are having better luck than what i've seen. Two rear shafts blew in two separate zuks on the same day. one with 5.13's, 6.5:1, 31's, just crawling a small boulder field. The other on a lightweight zuk "truggy" with 34's. He was so sick of breaking them he went back to a samurai rear. His comments were the diameter is slightly larger, but the material used was inferior to samurai shafts. I haven't used a tracker rear so i dont have personal experience. I guess everything can break, mabye it depends on who is using it or from where the shaft came from.
mine is out of a 97 kick. there are a lot of variables that you have to factor in. I am just saying I have had good luck with mine so far.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:30 PM   #20
mikes88zuki

Quote:
CV or double cardon shafts are not meant to be used in a compound angle. They will destroy the pinion side joint over time.

The 89-95 4 Runner is a normal 2 Joint shaft that has high clearance yokes and can handle a compound with out a problem. If you have a the front 79-85 shaft can it be used Yes but some have problems Thats why I posted optimal is the rear Non cv.

everything I have ever read agrees with this. I have never had a problem out my standard Zuk shaft running at compound angles with a centered diff. (a yota non-cv shaft would be stronger and better choice.) I have run it up the interstate at 65 mph and wheeled some of the hardest trails in Colorado with it. works good.
Well i have a front shaft out of a 88 4-runner would i be ok to run that or should i still go with the zuk shaft with running a tracker rearend??
Old 04-12-2010, 08:06 PM   #21
purevil71

purevil71 has a reputation beyond reputepurevil71 has a reputation beyond reputepurevil71 has a reputation beyond reputepurevil71 has a reputation beyond reputepurevil71 has a reputation beyond reputepurevil71 has a reputation beyond reputepurevil71 has a reputation beyond reputepurevil71 has a reputation beyond reputepurevil71 has a reputation beyond reputepurevil71 has a reputation beyond reputepurevil71 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

HUH, I've never seen that before...I'm going on 6 years with the same DC front Yota shaft in the rear, I wonder how long it takes to wear out that pinion side U-joint...

2001 Suzuki Vitara
1991 Suzuki Samurai
purevil71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:33 AM   #22
mikes88zuki

Quote:
HUH, I've never seen that before...I'm going on 6 years with the same DC front Yota shaft in the rear, I wonder how long it takes to wear out that pinion side U-joint...
with that said looks like ill be running the yota shaft
Old 04-13-2010, 07:14 AM   #23
MSuits

Quote:
Does it ever run at high speeds or is it just a offroad crawler? I have never used one just always heard they don't work well in compound angles.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:55 PM   #24
skyhiranger

skyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes88zuki View Post
Yeah for the gears! and im pretty sure the axles are bigger.
The trackick rear axles are 26 spline, just like the samurai axles. IIRC, the axles are the same diameter too.....but even if they aren't, the weakest part is usually right at the splines....which, like I said, are the same size in the samurais and trackicks.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:01 PM   #25
mikes88zuki

Quote:
I think im gonna go this route.But were im stuck at now is where to aim the rear? mind you im running yjs with just a long shackel in the rear If someone can please help me out or show me that would be great THANKS...