Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Axle Talk
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Axle Talk This section is for all your other axle talks, D44, D60, 14bolt, Ford 9" etc. If you have a write up please post it, if you have a axle question ask away.

Old 01-26-2017, 04:30 PM   #101
melbakid

melbakid is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaOuLi View Post
What tire size are you running or looking to run?
That not withstanding, if you not wheeling hard you could leave the front stock and run the locker in the rear only.

Locking the front, IMO, opens up another set of challenges with being able to turn the steering wheel; the jeep just tends to want to go straight no matter how you swing that wheel.

The Samurai birfs were not the strongest either. Spidertrax did a birf ring that added some strength. Maybe you could use some of those at LR or TT.

From what you are describing (type of wheeling) I would do t-case gears, locker in the back; all hinged on tire size.
I have new birfields from Roadless Gear. Right now I'm running 29's on a 15x8 wheel with 2.5" of backspace. My plan is to install 31" tall tires when I do the suspension swap. My TC has 4.16 gears with a Trail Tough Twisted T shifter and the HD input shaft. I'm using a Trail Tough Mighty Kong II TC cradle. I have solid mounts in the cradle along with Trail Tough's welded reinforcing plates on the frame bracket's for the TC. I have Trail Tough's unbreakable trans mount all ready installed. I am currently SPOA on Sammi springs. The steering is a Calmini full OTT set up with a OME steering stabilizer. I have a full YJ spring set up from Trail Tough to run SPUA with missing links in the front. The only thing I don't have is the front shocks. Brent from Trail Tough said when I do the swap to YJ's and install the front hoops, give him the measurement for the shock length at static height and he would send me the correct shocks.

I also plan on installing the Sidekick power steering and vented rotors and calipers on the front. I have a 95 2WD donor for the brakes and power steering. I have the rear Disc brake kit from LROR and will use my front calipers on the rear. In addition I have the LROR driveshaft disk kit for use as an E brake.

I have all kinds of new parts that I have been pulling together for over 2 years. I retired 18 months ago and moved from California to Idaho. I am in the process of building a new house and a new shop. When those are done I will start the install of all these new parts on my Tin Top.

While hunting this past fall with my father in law I realized I would need to have lockers for better traction. I drive this on the street a lot so I don't want to go spool or welded.
11/13 1995 Sidekick 2WD 5SP 4DR (future parts car)
melbakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:45 AM   #102
HaOuLi

HaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond repute
Nice plan for upgrading... Sweet actually!!!

As for the the inner front axle shaft, I would guess they can be purchased separately; just can't say I've seen a separate listing. 26 spline at both ends and you should be good to go. Check with the vendors and see.
From there any birf issues, probably upgrade with the corresponding birfs.

With the locker in the front, you may also want to consider locking hubs, if you don't have any as yet.
HaOuLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:16 PM   #103
melbakid

I do have the factory manual locking hubs. I may have to do a little more research on this axle thing. I was looking at front axles from Longfield and my plan my not work. I believe they use a 33 spline going into the birfield joint and a 26 spline going into the locker end. I think factory is 22 and 26. I could be wrong. If some one wants to chime in and set me straight I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Last edited by melbakid; 01-29-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:53 PM   #104
HaOuLi

HaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond reputeHaOuLi has a reputation beyond repute
melbakid, looks like you are onto something... Maybe give Brent at Trail Tough a call. They had/have some upgraded front axles. For some reason I am thinking the upgraded front axles had a 26 spline into the birf at an earlier time; same as stock.
HaOuLi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:17 AM   #105
melbakid

Thanks, I will do that.