Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Axle Talk
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Axle Talk This section is for all your other axle talks, D44, D60, 14bolt, Ford 9" etc. If you have a write up please post it, if you have a axle question ask away.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:27 PM   #1
GEORGE

GEORGE is an unknown quantity at this point
Samurai axle / gears

Hello all, I wanted to ask, if you had the choice of doing the trail tough gear change package with his hybrid rear axle housing/sidekick set up. Or just go with Yukon or the gears from lowrange off road. Which set-up do you think is the way to go. I do like stuff from Trail Tough. Thanks again. George
GEORGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:20 PM   #2
jaredsamurai

jaredsamurai has a reputation beyond reputejaredsamurai has a reputation beyond reputejaredsamurai has a reputation beyond reputejaredsamurai has a reputation beyond reputejaredsamurai has a reputation beyond reputejaredsamurai has a reputation beyond reputejaredsamurai has a reputation beyond reputejaredsamurai has a reputation beyond reputejaredsamurai has a reputation beyond reputejaredsamurai has a reputation beyond reputejaredsamurai has a reputation beyond repute
Why are you doing diff gears in the first place? Just do a transfer case. I wouldn't sink too much $$ into samurai axle parts.
jaredsamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:55 AM   #3
Nagtrainer

Nagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond repute
Why not? I did the axle gears first because it takes the stress off the trans and T-case. The rear diff/Axle will be stronger with the Hybrid, you'll enjoy the performance. Granted the T-case is the Cheap way out, but the axle and diffs would be stronger in the long run.

1986 SCORE Class 3 Samurai with DOHC 1.3L Crower Cam & Rods, Fabbed Block girdle, ghetto block guard, GSXR600 ITB's Custom one off header. The Hybrid of Hybrid rear axles with ford 9" Spool and 28 spline axles, Nissan 240SX brakes, Hybrid front axle (in the process of fabbing) Snatch, Panty Liner, Twin Stick, Stage 3 clutch, MicroSquirt, FLIR, Lowrance Navigation, Yaesu 2 way, Parker Air, Sigtronic intercom.
Nagtrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:07 PM   #4
GEORGE

GEORGE is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks

Thanks guys for the reply's. I think I am going the Trail Tough route, Brent has been making great Suzuki Samurai parts and accessories for years. Thanks again.

GEORGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:14 PM   #5
GASSPORTS

GASSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeGASSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeGASSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeGASSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeGASSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeGASSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeGASSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeGASSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeGASSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeGASSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeGASSPORTS has a reputation beyond repute
I say trail tough also
GASSPORTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:04 PM   #6
ack

ack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagtrainer View Post
Why not? I did the axle gears first because it takes the stress off the trans and T-case. The rear diff/Axle will be stronger with the Hybrid, you'll enjoy the performance. Granted the T-case is the Cheap way out, but the axle and diffs would be stronger in the long run.
Ah.. the Axle/Trcase gearing controversy...

I'm with Nagtainer on this one.

Why risk blowing up lots of stuff when dif gearing will protect the drive train by taking up the load.

Admittedly, you have more gearing choices in aftermarket t-case gears but those gears will not protect the u-joints, various bearings or themselves from damage like a good ring and pinion set will...

Cheap does not always equal good...

'88 Samurai Offroader
'88.5 Samurai Tintop
'16 Ford Flex Limited AWD "Uber-mobile"
http://www.acksfaq.com

ack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:56 PM   #7
phloop
Bacon is the answer

phloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond repute
I guess it depends on your objectives and your wheeling style. I went with T/C gears to be able to have a real low range. But when I did that there were only the Rocklobster4.16 gears availible. I now have that and the 5.12's so pretty happy.

Union hall 3B

Living life a half bubble off.

pie

0-1

I'm singing dammit!
phloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:49 AM   #8
dgurney

dgurney is on a distinguished road
samurai

Im not sure this is my rear end gear is bad or what.i had a used trans mission put in and have not drove it 100 miles and now when i let out on the clutch and let off the gas i having a loud banging noise like someone is is hitting the bottom of the truck where the rear seat is supposed to be.when i am doing 55 mph and let off the gas same loud banging.we jack the truck up on there rear and turned the tires back and fort and it sounds like it comes from the rear gear or at the rear u joint.i checked it was fine.my question is do i need to replace the rear third member or could it be front input shaft of transfercase.i guess i will bring it to the shop this week.not to the guy who put transmission in.he says if it is the rear gear he just wont put the rear gear in he wanted to put a whole uses rear end.he already ripped me off with the transmission.i cannot get him to look at this problem to see if its something he done.he said his work was warranted for a year.its been 6 months and like i say 100 miles.ripped off is what i gotanyone got ant suggestions?
dgurney is offline   Reply With Quote