Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Axle Talk
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Axle Talk This section is for all your other axle talks, D44, D60, 14bolt, Ford 9" etc. If you have a write up please post it, if you have a axle question ask away.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:38 PM   #1
HvilleHellRaiser

HvilleHellRaiser has a reputation beyond reputeHvilleHellRaiser has a reputation beyond reputeHvilleHellRaiser has a reputation beyond reputeHvilleHellRaiser has a reputation beyond reputeHvilleHellRaiser has a reputation beyond reputeHvilleHellRaiser has a reputation beyond reputeHvilleHellRaiser has a reputation beyond reputeHvilleHellRaiser has a reputation beyond reputeHvilleHellRaiser has a reputation beyond reputeHvilleHellRaiser has a reputation beyond reputeHvilleHellRaiser has a reputation beyond repute
Dana 44 trac lock

Alright guys. This isnt in a sami but i know alot of you arent only into samis so here goes. I need some help and searching the web is only confusing me more than before i started. My brother has an early 1978 chevy with a dana 44 front axle, 4:10 gears, and 38.5 SXs. Acouple months ago he went a little to deep at the local mud bog and something let go in the front axle. After removing the diff cover he discovered the spider gears in several pieces. Now hes looking for parts and we are wondering if a trac lock from a 77-79 ford high pinion dana 44 will fit his low pinion dana 44. They are both 30 spline and take the same carrier bearings but is there any other difference that im missing? Itd be great to gain a limited slip im the process of repairing the axle if its possible. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:39 PM   #2
skyhiranger

skyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond repute
I thought there was a carrier break at the 3.73 ratio for the Ford D44s. I know the 4.56 gears fit the 3.73 carrier, when I did the Ford D44 swap into the front of my Ranger. That is really all I can tell you about the Ford carriers. So I guess the first thing to consider is what gears the chevy has, to see if they will even fit the Ford carrier.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:21 AM   #3
jenyus
retarded on the rocks

jenyus has a reputation beyond reputejenyus has a reputation beyond reputejenyus has a reputation beyond reputejenyus has a reputation beyond reputejenyus has a reputation beyond reputejenyus has a reputation beyond reputejenyus has a reputation beyond reputejenyus has a reputation beyond reputejenyus has a reputation beyond reputejenyus has a reputation beyond reputejenyus has a reputation beyond repute
There is a carrier break, but the locker would work. He might need to get thick gears for the front.

jenyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:46 PM   #4
HvilleHellRaiser

HvilleHellRaiser has a reputation beyond reputeHvilleHellRaiser has a reputation beyond reputeHvilleHellRaiser has a reputation beyond reputeHvilleHellRaiser has a reputation beyond reputeHvilleHellRaiser has a reputation beyond reputeHvilleHellRaiser has a reputation beyond reputeHvilleHellRaiser has a reputation beyond reputeHvilleHellRaiser has a reputation beyond reputeHvilleHellRaiser has a reputation beyond reputeHvilleHellRaiser has a reputation beyond reputeHvilleHellRaiser has a reputation beyond repute
The ford axle had 4:10 gears also, but ended up not havng a trac lock. After lots of craigslist searching and acouple calls to Richmond Gear, we found a trac lock from a 2000 jeep tj sport dana 44 with 4:10s. Richmond says itll fit. Hopefully they are right. Should find out for sure this weekend.