Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Axle Talk
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Axle Talk This section is for all your other axle talks, D44, D60, 14bolt, Ford 9" etc. If you have a write up please post it, if you have a axle question ask away.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:09 PM   #1
s3anzuki

s3anzuki is an unknown quantity at this point
front and rear ends

Question for the pros..

As ive said on previous posts im new the sidekick family and im doing a build on a 91 sidekick 3spd auto so far ive completly rebuilt the 1.6 top to bottom. Grinded the cam for what performance i could get out of it but other than that leaving the engine stock and will be doing a 3" body and 3" sus lift and run 32x12.5r15 im not going to far out there because i want it to be half mudder half pavement princess as for the rear and front ends what should i run? I was told by a friend to run a 5spd rear so 5.12 with a mini spool. Because the auto 4.62 rear will have a hard time pushing the tires is that a good idea ? And as for the front what should i do to improve reailability? I was also told thats the sidekicks achlies heel??
Any input would be greatly appreicated

Last edited by s3anzuki; 04-16-2015 at 09:34 PM.
s3anzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:36 AM   #2
ack

ack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond reputeack has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by s3anzuki View Post
Question for the pros..

As ive said on previous posts im new the sidekick family and im doing a build on a 91 sidekick 3spd auto so far ive completly rebuilt the 1.6 top to bottom. Grinded the cam for what performance i could get out of it but other than that leaving the engine stock and will be doing a 3" body and 3" sus lift and run 32x12.5r15 im not going to far out there because i want it to be half mudder half pavement princess as for the rear and front ends what should i run? I was told by a friend to run a 5spd rear so 5.12 with a mini spool. Because the auto 4.62 rear will have a hard time pushing the tires is that a good idea ? And as for the front what should i do to improve reailability? I was also told thats the sidekicks achlies heel??
Any input would be greatly appreicated
One of the most common fixes to strengthen the 1st-gen TracKick's front axle is to swap out the aluminum axle assembly with a steel one from newer GVs and XL7s.

tray doing a search for steel axle and hagen at Ack's FAQ. The link is in my signature, below.

I hope that this helps!

'88 Samurai Offroader
'88.5 Samurai Tintop
'16 Ford Flex Limited AWD "Uber-mobile"
http://www.acksfaq.com

ack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:40 PM   #3
skyhiranger

skyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond reputeskyhiranger has a reputation beyond repute
I had an 89 sidekick once that had the auto tranny and about 29" tall agressive mud tires on it with a rear lock right. It was a turd offroad. I absolutely hated it. It would just sit there and not move, because I couldn't get the engine RPMs high enough to lock the converter to get it moving and the engine didn't have enough power to spin 3 tires, to get the RPMs up. Did I say that I hated that turd offroad?
My advice is definitely swap in some 5.12s. They still may not be low enough with 32s, but they will be better than the 4.62s.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:30 PM   #4
s3anzuki

s3anzuki is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy

Thanks for the info I'll start looking for the gearing on craigs list (slim pickings ) out where 8 live tho
s3anzuki is offline   Reply With Quote