Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Axle Talk
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Axle Talk This section is for all your other axle talks, D44, D60, 14bolt, Ford 9" etc. If you have a write up please post it, if you have a axle question ask away.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #176
geckocycles

geckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonFXSTC View Post
Gecko
Have you thought about this : http://www.kickstarter.com/start
I would be interested in contributing toward the investment. Maybe other here would as well?
I'll look into it. It has been my experience that most guys here are in the same boat as I am financially anyway. Unfortunate as it is as there are some really cool guys here and I consider them my friends even though we have never seen each other.
I'm thinking I may just have to include some other castings for some other projects on the table too. The portals could certainly use some cast parts as well as the floater disk conversion. 4340 not needed but couldn't hurt. I really don't see the return on the portal parts though as I doubt that too many people would want one. It is amazing how cheep the individual castings cost after molds are made.
2240 lbs wet. 33x10.50 BFG KM2's, 5.12 T-Case, 4.30 3rds, HD output shaft, Spidy T-Case arms, Gecko Cable Locker, Gecko panhard, Spidy antiwrap bar and trussed housings, 5"x12" Breeze drop links, SPOA front and rear, Gecko Cycles Intake and Cooling manifold with 4 36mm GSXR screamin Mikuni's. 5400 lb Ft and 3000 lb rear winches, ZOR ft bumper, Gecko rear, Calmini HD rear axles, custom made 4Runner drive shafts.
geckocycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #177
crazyatvn

crazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond reputecrazyatvn has a reputation beyond repute
I think portals would be awesome but I wonder how the tube strength of the axles would hold up.
crazyatvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #178
geckocycles

geckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond reputegeckocycles has a reputation beyond repute
Not at all. I would sleeve the tube ID.
We would make them so much lighter than all others too taking into account Sammy weight and HP.
2240 lbs wet. 33x10.50 BFG KM2's, 5.12 T-Case, 4.30 3rds, HD output shaft, Spidy T-Case arms, Gecko Cable Locker, Gecko panhard, Spidy antiwrap bar and trussed housings, 5"x12" Breeze drop links, SPOA front and rear, Gecko Cycles Intake and Cooling manifold with 4 36mm GSXR screamin Mikuni's. 5400 lb Ft and 3000 lb rear winches, ZOR ft bumper, Gecko rear, Calmini HD rear axles, custom made 4Runner drive shafts.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:08 PM   #179
phloop
Bacon is the answer

phloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond reputephloop has a reputation beyond repute
Sami's have HP? I wasn't aware of that. Ya learn some thing new every day.

Good to see you around once in a while. And also that your still tinkering with this idea. I'd hate to see all your work go to waste after all the time you have invested in it.

Union hall 3B

Living life a half bubble off.

pie

0-1

I'm singing dammit!
phloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:21 AM   #180
billsbar

billsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond reputebillsbar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by phloop View Post

Good to see you around once in a while. And also that your still tinkering with this idea. I'd hate to see all your work go to waste after all the time you have invested in it.
I bang on his door now and then to make sure he hasn't passed away in his laboratory. And every time I show up his "laboratory" has gotten larger
I now call in advance, while sitting out front
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free."

- President Ronald Reagan

Spell check people it's free
Proof reading your posts can even help people with the grammers skills of a pet rock.
billsbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:54 AM   #181
geckocycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsbar View Post
I bang on his door now and then to make sure he hasn't passed away in his laboratory. And every time I show up his "laboratory" has gotten larger
I now call in advance, while sitting out front
Now you are sounding like Gina. Passed Away . She worries too much. I have been working alone most of my life and I'm not dead yet. Had some close ones but only the good die young. I am destined for a long and not so prosperous life, maybe without a few digits tho.
Yea that was too funny getting a call form you and you were sitting just outside the RV. At least you didn't honk the horn.

My new little Lab got filled up way too fast. I need more heated space. It is barely manageable with just me in the shop. Add one guy and it is way too full. I should of just made the heated area larger and forgo trying to fit a Sammy in the unheated part.
First I need to get an income from something or I will die young or at least loose some weight.

Andy is coming over this morn and we are going to make some motor mounts for his 16V to lower the engine being MY was out of Motorboats. These won't be adjustable. MY emailed me yesterday and said he would give me his display ones. Andy just wants to get'er done so we can go wheel. We don't need anything adjustable really. Can hardly wait for thirty.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:37 AM   #182
geckocycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by phloop View Post

I know, I go in spurts now on the forum. Don't take it personal.

I was saying the lack of HP of a Sammy so not so much beef is needed for everything. It isn't till guys start adding HP and tires and gears that shit starts to break.

As for a waste, no waste here. I got my locker and I love it. It would of been nice to get an order for some but I guess it was only meant for me to have at this point. I got 1 other just sitting on the shelf so if I ever get some front axles made one will go in the front and I have another spare if something does go bad. Just got to do some final machining for that one. I need to talk to Thom at Spidertrax and see if he has a set of axles he said I could get from him to modify. I got some coin to buy them now. Being he discontinued them I am not very hopeful. Damn those copy cats steeling his designs. I'm sure that will happen here too if someone gets their hands on one of these lockers too.

Last edited by geckocycles; 10-19-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:40 AM   #183
geckocycles

I picked up a set of new RCV front birfs with only a short Moser axle for $100.
Decided to have RCV make me custom axles for the birfs.

Just don't have the time to make my own and with this new project I am doing (making grow room racks, LOL) it afforded me some luxury's. Got a Miller Multimatic 200 with Tig kit too! What a sweet machine at only 29lbs.

My front end is leaking and needs rebuilt so I figured it is time to get the cable locker in the front. Going to build a whole new front end and drop it in. My front third is AL with 4:30's so I need to find another set of gears to build up in a steel housing. I have been warned about using AL thirds with locked front, so I will take that advice.

The extra lockers I made may have to be modified as these RCV axles are much bigger in the center section than the Calmini rears were. Maybe they will work better. Just got to figure it out.

My rear is leaking a little bit too. Mostly just a little seapage where the cable stop is clamped on the housing and through my inspection hole. I never welded, JB Weld or even siliconed it on. Just put a hose clamp around it and called it good for testing. I was really surprised that it held up for these years.

Anyway, It has been a long time coming.

Last edited by geckocycles; 09-24-2014 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:33 AM   #184
zorproducts
God blessed America

zorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond reputezorproducts has a reputation beyond repute
Ken,
You could not possibly worn out from all the new people asking the same questions again are you?
Brass shift sheets T-BRA & THONG, MY-SIDE1 & 2 CV kits, SNATCH "the best t-case cradle". TRAIL-GEAR Authorized Dealer. ZOR Bumpers! See that little set of scales over to the lower left? Give me reputation IF I HAVE helped you and I will be happy!
http://zuksoffroad.com

Stay outta my tree! And the tree next to my tree and the trees next to that! Or any tree made out of wood!
zorproducts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:11 PM   #185
geckocycles

Not. I'm just a little fish in the sea making things that you can't have. LOL
You Da Man so I guess you get approached MUCH more.

Now if you want some custom grow racks I can probably help out.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:23 AM   #186
Diesel_Zuk

Diesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond reputeDiesel_Zuk has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by geckocycles View Post
Not. I'm just a little fish in the sea making things that you can't have. LOL
You Da Man so I guess you get approached MUCH more.

Now if you want some custom grow racks I can probably help out.
Nice!!! If only I was in Colorado........
1991 VW Jetta 1.6 turbodiesel "Who says I can't get 40 mpg and destroy the environment at the same time?
Diesel_Zuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:02 AM   #187
geckocycles

Got a new toy and ordered a Lincoln 210 MP instead of getting another Multimatic 200.
This little guy ROCKS!

Picked up a couple of craigslist items. A Wilton 5" vice for $10 and a Delta bandsaw for $130. Dumped the factory stand and made a new, more stable one.

The vice was seized. Had tar in it for grease. Cleaned and now it works great. SCORE

Made some headway on my front locker.

Got a 2 pair of heated leather seats from MY. One for me and one for Andy. THX MY
Old 11-12-2014, 10:09 AM   #188
jrnm

jrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond reputejrnm has a reputation beyond repute
nice score on the vice...

Proud builder of the one and only SUZUKI NADA JEEP.

"Stercus accidit"
jrnm is offline   Reply With Quote