Go Back   Zukikrawlers > Technical > Axle Talk
Photo Gallery Home Forum FlashChat Email

Axle Talk This section is for all your other axle talks, D44, D60, 14bolt, Ford 9" etc. If you have a write up please post it, if you have a axle question ask away.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:35 PM   #1
zukinewbie24

zukinewbie24 is an unknown quantity at this point
gearing?????

so im colecting parts for my build and all that. im doing a pre 95 tracker 4 dr i have 1979 wagoneer d44 f&r axles and have a samurai t/c im putting 6.5 gears into with stock trany and 1.6l and no bigger than 35' tires, i need to know if i change my gearing in the axles at what point should i change the axles to chormoly. would like to keep my stock axles if i can was thinking 5.13 to 5.89 gearing be strickly trail riding and mudding next to no rocks. im not a hard core wheeler, i can only go out couple times a year as my work is on call basis. if you can give me some advice on what you do. id like to do this regearing as cheap as i can as i on a budget.
zukinewbie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:54 PM   #2
Nagtrainer

Nagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond reputeNagtrainer has a reputation beyond repute
Still some variables there, like spooled, locker, ARB, How fresh and what kind of power are we looking at?

But assuming a stock 8V, and basic dirt road, mild trails, some occasional mud holes and a lot street use, then run the stock ones till they break. probably get a few years out of them. If it were me though, I would step up the axles anyway and move my week point to a drive shaft or U-joint which is a lot easier to repair on a trail.

1986 SCORE Class 3 Samurai with DOHC 1.3L Crower Cam & Rods, Fabbed Block girdle, ghetto block guard, GSXR600 ITB's Custom one off header. The Hybrid of Hybrid rear axles with ford 9" Spool and 28 spline axles, Nissan 240SX brakes, Hybrid front axle (in the process of fabbing) Snatch, Panty Liner, Twin Stick, Stage 3 clutch, MicroSquirt, FLIR, Lowrance Navigation, Yaesu 2 way, Parker Air, Sigtronic intercom.
Nagtrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:09 PM   #3
dogonmut

dogonmut has a reputation beyond reputedogonmut has a reputation beyond reputedogonmut has a reputation beyond reputedogonmut has a reputation beyond reputedogonmut has a reputation beyond reputedogonmut has a reputation beyond reputedogonmut has a reputation beyond reputedogonmut has a reputation beyond reputedogonmut has a reputation beyond reputedogonmut has a reputation beyond reputedogonmut has a reputation beyond repute
If 35's are the tallest then 5.13 or 5.38 gearing. If open then stock is ok. If locked or open and you don't won't to worry chromoly and Longfield or CTM u joints. If locked and don't won't to worry RCV shafts.